none
CD/DVD writer issue in Windows Server 2008R2 Standard

Question

• I am using Windows Server 2008R2 SP1 Standard in IBM X3650 machine.

When I insert a blank CD/DVD into the drive, it could not be opened, showing an error 'The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error'. So the CD/DVD writer functionality is not working. 

However the drive can read the data of any CD containing some data into it.

The drive is working fine with other machines for writing as well as reading a blank disc, hence no problem with the drive. Other hardwares like motherboard, sata cable, RAM, etc are also changed but it could not be solved.

Can anyone help me out with some solutions please.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:10 PM

Answers

• Tried a different DVD writer (external maybe) on this server?

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

Please make sure that the optical drive is a CD/DVD RW Drive and check if you can change other brands of disks to burn.

If it does not work, please also uninstall all the third party burning drive to test the issue.

If the issue persists, we can also try to reinstall the optical drive driver, modify the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry key values. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Sunday, July 28, 2013 4:43 PM

All replies

• Tried a different DVD writer (external maybe) on this server?

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

Please make sure that the optical drive is a CD/DVD RW Drive and check if you can change other brands of disks to burn.

If it does not work, please also uninstall all the third party burning drive to test the issue.

If the issue persists, we can also try to reinstall the optical drive driver, modify the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry key values. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Sunday, July 28, 2013 4:43 PM