none
Deploying win7 Ent via SCCM stuck on last task what is this error log?

    Question

  • Hello,

     

    I have created a Win 7 SOE image for our company and since I updated the image last it is now getting stuck on the last step for several hours.

    I have a blank Win7 image only a few slight mods done to it for an SOE.

    My task seq pushes the image names the PC by its asset tag, adds to the domain, and then applies our SOE software needed the last step is to install office 2010 it now gets to the end of that task and sits there for a few hours.

    I have logged into the evenveiwer and found that office 2010 installed ok and it is something else causing it to stop.  this is the event log I get:

     

    Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2
    Date:          14/08/2013 4:17:38 PM
    Event ID:      4107
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      AVLA027189.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Description:
    Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download....authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.
    .
    Event Xml:
    < Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro...08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2" Guid="{5bbca4a8-b209-48dc-a8c7-b23d3e5216fb}" EventSourceName="Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">4107</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-08-14T06:17:38.194540800Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1151</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="1064" ThreadID="3476" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>AVLA027189.rav.vic.gov.au</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>http://www.download....authrootstl.cab</Data>
        <Data>A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.
    < /Data>
      </EventData>
    < /Event>

     

    What would this be and why would this just start happening now after a few successful deployments?

     

    Once it does timeout and restart the image is ok but I would like it to restart in a timley fasion not timeout after 6 hours.

     

    Regards,

     

    Nat

    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:55 PM

All replies

  • Update:

     

    Had our sys admins look into it and found our proxy server is blocking the PC from accessing it due to it using an anonymous account.  Is there a way from stopping the task from doing this?

    Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:34 AM
  • That has nothing to do with your failure -- it's simply a standard thing Windows systems have done for a long time to update their trusted certs.

    You need to review the smsts.log to find out what's going on.


    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

    Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:03 AM
  • That has nothing to do with your failure -- it's simply a standard thing Windows systems have done for a long time to update their trusted certs.

    You need to review the smsts.log to find out what's going on.


    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

    Hi Jason,

    Thanks for the reply.  I have been looking into this further and my CAPI2 error seems to apply to my image deployment only when I push out office 2010 in my task seq.  If I remove that task it applys the OS and restarts ready to go no problems.  Once I put office 2010 back into the task seq it takes hours to apply the image.  I went back to my original Win 7 SOE image and found the CAPI2 error was happening on that also so I have taken the steps to clear the issue and recaptured the image, but when installing 2010 is still comes back.  I dont want to add 2010 into my image but it maybe the only workaround I have to get this going.

    Is there any other way I can prevent this from trying to download the file?

    Cheers.

    Monday, August 19, 2013 3:10 AM
  • Also checked the smsts.log files on the PC and only errors showing up are to do with some driver loading which i know isnt the issue because those errors show on working imaged PCs.
    Monday, August 19, 2013 3:21 AM
  • I actually found out that having office either in cache and install or installed shaved a significant amount of time from deployment.

    Monday, August 19, 2013 4:01 AM
  • Well I fell silly......

    Just been trying again to get it going and was building a image with 2010 pre installed and found it installed ok.

    BUT......In our envrioment we have a small office addon we run for excel which I had incorperated into my install script which was adding the file to %program files%\Microsoft Office\Office14\Library as our old SOE is XP.  Now under win7x64 that file needs to be copied to %program files(x86)%Microsoft Office\Office14\Library.....So the script was stuck with xcopy asking if the location was a file or directory.

    Have modified my scripts now and running several tests but I am pretty sure that is the cause of my past 5 days of frustration.

    Thanks for the info and help guys just goes to show what works in deployments needs to be checked over again for OSD.

    Monday, August 19, 2013 5:52 AM