none
How to multilevel flyouts in SharePoint 2013?

Question

• Hi All,

How to get multilevel drop-down in top navigation in SharePoint 2013. Here I have got first-level drop-down through navigation setting from site settings. How to get next level drop-down?

Actual-

Expecting like-

Thursday, July 04, 2013 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi sam,

>Open your SharePoint site in SPD [SharePoint Designer]

>Go to master pages folder in Site objects pan

>Create a copy of master page before editing

>open  master page in editor mode>code view

>Search for a element called 

<SharePoint:AspMenu
     ID="TopNavigationMenuV4"
     Runat="server"
     EnableViewState="false"
     DataSourceID="topSiteMap"
     AccessKey="<%$Resources:wss,navigation_accesskey%>"
     UseSimpleRendering="true"
     UseSeparateCss="false"
     Orientation="Horizontal"
     StaticDisplayLevels="2"
     MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="1"
     SkipLinkText=""
     CssClass="s4-tn"/>

>>Change MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="1" to MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="4"

>than save the master page and close SPD

>you can see Multilevel drop down

karim

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Edited by karimSP Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:01 PM update
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:00 PM
  • Karim, Thanks for your reply. I've made those changes in master page but result remains same first level dropdown only. How to make second level drop down? Thanks.
    Friday, July 05, 2013 10:58 AM
  • After doing these change in the masterpage you have to enable in every site (navigation settings) and subsite the "show pages" and "show sites". Try that!

It never works for me to do flyouts manually.

Good Luck!

Friday, September 13, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Hello Sam Tim,

Maybe this thread can give some insight:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/166ec4f2-a037-425b-a884-6e246e868efd/maximumdynamicdisplaylevels-not-working?forum=sharepointcustomization

Which build of SharePoint 2013 are you using?

- Dennis | Netherlands | Blog | Twitter

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:58 AM
  • Below is the code in the masterpage we are using and we do get the required four levels:

<SharePoint:AjaxDelta id="DeltaTopNavigation" BlockElement="true" CssClass="ms-displayInline ms-core-navigation" role="navigation" runat="server">
    	<SharePoint:DelegateControl runat="server" ControlId="TopNavigationDataSource" Id="topNavigationDelegate">
    		<Template_Controls>
    			<asp:SiteMapDataSource
    				ShowStartingNode="True"
    				SiteMapProvider="SPNavigationProvider"
    				id="topSiteMap"
    				runat="server"
    				StartingNodeUrl="sid:1002"/>
    		</Template_Controls>
    	</SharePoint:DelegateControl>
    	<asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderTopNavBar" runat="server">
    		<SharePoint:AspMenu
    			ID="TopNavigationMenu"
    			Runat="server"
    			EnableViewState="false"
    			DataSourceID="topSiteMap"
    			AccessKey="<%$Resources:wss,navigation_accesskey%>"
    			UseSimpleRendering="true"
    			UseSeparateCss="true"
    			Orientation="Horizontal"
    			StaticDisplayLevels="2"
    			AdjustForShowStartingNode="true"
    			MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="4"
    			SkipLinkText=""
    			staticsubmenuindent="100"
    			css />
    	</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
    </SharePoint:AjaxDelta>

There is a node above what has already been mentioned in which you may need to change the ShowStartingNode from False to True:

<Template_Controls>
    	<asp:SiteMapDataSource
    		ShowStartingNode="True"
    Don't forget to check you changes back in, it might also be worth clearing your browser's cache so you pick up the latest masterpage, although this might not be necessary.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 4:10 PM
  • Karim, Thanks for your reply. I've made those changes in master page but result remains same first level dropdown only. How to make second level drop down? Thanks.

I've noticed a problem with flyouts not working in a mater page when everything is seemingly configured correctly. If I go to say the page for a list item or site settings then the flyouts work, additionally I would note that the "system" master page is different, only has the header and no body content divs.

I believe there is a style sheet conflict somewhere, or having a fixed width centered content div is interfering with the flyout menu which would technically overlay it, could also be z-index related. Haven't been able to investigate it more as yet but your not the only one.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:40 PM
  • Found the kb article (of August 2013 CU for SharePoint 2013) in which it is described that there was a bug fix around flyouts:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817616

Assume that you add a hierarchy of sub-sites to a SharePoint Server 2013 site on which the Publishing Infrastructure feature is enabled. In this situation, navigation hierarchies do not display more than two levels in the left nor top navigation controls.

So still interested in which build version of SharePoint 2013 you are running :)

- Dennis | Netherlands | Blog | Twitter

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 8:43 AM