none
VPN for Power BI data transfers

Question

• I would like have PowerView/PowerPivot on Power BI site.

Data source should be on SQL Server table. Data should be refreshed at least once in day. Ultimate data source is on-premise SQL Server.

Data is sensitive so VPN or someother secure method is needed when tranferring data.

How this affect to architecture? Any of following suggestion are OK? Any suggestions how VPN should be implemented?

1) On premise SQL Server ->VPN->Power BI site

2) On premise SQL Server -> VPN->Azure SQL Server->VPN?->Power BI Site

Kenny_I

• Edited by Kenny_I Wednesday, October 09, 2013 8:47 AM
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 8:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Kenny

The Data Access Gateway is installed on-prem, and is responsible for communicating both with the data source (SQL Server) and with the Power BI tenant. If you set up communications with SSL, it will be inherently secure - no need for VPN at all. Should you want to use a VPN (on the gateway machine), it shouldn't be a problem, but you won't be connecting to the Power BI site.

Communication will be over the public internet, but encrypted with an SSL certificate.  

I hope this helps.

Cheers

John

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Kenny

The Data Access Gateway is installed on-prem, and is responsible for communicating both with the data source (SQL Server) and with the Power BI tenant. If you set up communications with SSL, it will be inherently secure - no need for VPN at all. Should you want to use a VPN (on the gateway machine), it shouldn't be a problem, but you won't be connecting to the Power BI site.

Communication will be over the public internet, but encrypted with an SSL certificate.  

I hope this helps.

Cheers

John

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 1:39 PM
  • The Data Management gateway both encrypts and compresses the data sent from the on premise data source to the Power BI tenant.

Meital

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 3:31 PM
  • Will we have to pay for data management Gateway separately ? Is it available for all office 365 customers or only specific plans ?
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:04 PM