none
MDT Fails Installing Drivers Even Though They Are Natively Found On DVD Install

Question

• We have  system where we can install Windows 7 using a DVD and it automatically installs every driver without us having to download any drivers from the manufacturer website.

However, when using MDT, it fails after it completes installing the OS.  Seems like it cannot install drivers (it has SAS drives).  I can't tell what driver it is looking for (maybe storage driver).

The only other thing I can think of is that this is an older workstation and the drivers we downloaded from the HP website only go up to Vista.  Maybe they are tagged in someway to only install if the system is specifically Windows Vista and will not install on Windows 7? 

How can we make it use the drivers built into Windows OS if it cannot find the drivers to inject in the driver store?

• Edited by MyGposts Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:07 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:59 PM

All replies

• I know this is an old post... but what makes you think it is a driver issue that is making it fail? What error are you getting in the log?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:09 AM
  • There was an error saying failure injecting drivers and it is the same deployment task sequence that can deploy to newer PC models without the error.

• Edited by MyGposts Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:14 AM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:13 AM
  • I have two suggestions, hopefully they help you...

1. Take a look at the DISM log to see if there are any errors, and to pinpoint which driver is having the issue. (C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log)

2. Use selection profiles to control which drivers get installed with each model machine. This way you can remove the problem drivers you really don't need. http://adminnexus.blogspot.com/2012/08/yet-another-approach-to-driver.html

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:23 AM
  • I was already using a selection profile.  I don't think it wants to use them because the drivers are meant for Vista and there are no newer drivers available from HP.  However, the drivers from Microsoft from the Windows 7 DVD work.
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:33 AM