none
SCCM 2012 sp1 Power Management : Flexibility and Requirements, anyone using this?

Question

• Everyone,

At the school I manage, we're looking for a solution to manage the power of all the computers in the district.  Our end result, turn all desktops off at 6:00 pm and turn then back on at 6:00am, or certain variations on that depending on OUs/etc.   I know this is done on the Device Collection level.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as resources for installing/managing this?  I would also like to know the requirements for handling this as well. 

I'm guessing that Wake-On-LAN has to be enabled on each desktop/client on the network in able to do this, right?

Anyone that has any input in this would be greatly appreciate

Thank you!

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:02 PM

All replies

• Personally I'd look at the 1E add-in.

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:54 PM
  • Following up on John's earlier comment, and assuming you have appetite for a 3rd party solution, take a look at our NightWatchman Enterprise product. It is our most mature product, being in the marketplace for well over 10 years. Getting this process "right" is not trivial. Thare are a lot of business issues to consider, and technical hurdles to overcome. We think we've addressed these quite well.

I'm not going to flog it here. If interested, feel free to contact me directly and I can help you directly.

Ed Aldrich | 1E | Pre-Sales Solutions Engineer | ConfigManager MVP 2003-2012

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:52 PM
  • Ed Aldrich,

I looked at E1's site a week or so ago, and signed up for a free trial/more information.  I have not heard anything back yet.  Honestly, I'm curious as to the cost to this program, as well as to how flexible the built in solution with SCCM 2012 is.

For those that use SCCM 2012 for power management, is it as simple as "turn on at 6am turn off at 6pm", and i'm guessing they have to have WOL enabled in bios?

Any input for those of you out there using either E1/SCCM Built in PM is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Monday, July 29, 2013 3:49 PM