none
How to enable the Routing and Remote Access Service

Question

• When I try to start the Routing and Remote Access service on POSReady 7, I get:

---------------------------
    Services
    The Routing and Remote Access service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.
    OK  

.. the Event Viewer is decidedly unhelpful as to cause; I just get:

"The Routing and Remote Access Service terminated with service-specific error The request is not supported.."

I've read elsewhere that ICS will provide similar functionality, but it won't start either.  How do I get RRAS started on POSReady 7?

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:24 PM

All replies

• I have faced similar issue with Windows 7 embedded system (custom configuration)

I started debugging this issue and eventually found out that disabling WAN Miniport (IP) adapter will allow me to enable Routing and Remote Access service.

Wan Miniport (IP) adapter is only visible in device manager when you enable Show hidden devices option in View menu inside device manager.

If this also works for you then you may proceed further with steps below.

===================================================================
    In order to fix it properly I did following:

A) Find location of WAN Miniport IP adapter. In my case it was located at following location in my target registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0007

B) Set the Upperbind value to DNE

I just noticed that in my Windows 7 laptop the UpperBind value inside Linkage Subkey was set to DNE (Should probably be Do Not Enable) while in target it was set to something else.

I updated the UpperBind key to DNE and committed and restarted the system (since C:\ is EWF protected). It worked like charm.  

Let me know if it helps!

• Proposed as answer by Aagosh Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:39 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:39 AM