none
Apply the default user logon picture to all users

Question

• Hi

I applied gpo "apply the default user logon picture to all users"

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\User Accounts\Apply the default user logon picture to all users

C:\programdata\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp  --> renamed my company log to user.bmp.

Taken backup of old user.bmp.

But policy is not working.

Environment:

Windows Server 2008 R2

Clients:Windows 7 and Windows 8

Monday, December 30, 2013 2:57 PM

Answers

• Hi S.Vijay Kumar,

Based on my understanding, the GPO which configured the Apply the default user logon picture to all users would not apply successfully. What’s more, you have customized the default user logon picture %ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp. Right?

Firstly, please check if the scope of this GPO and the setting of Filtering are correct.

Secondly, please follow the steps below to check if the GPO is applied to these Windows XP clients:

1. Click Start, type rsop.msc in the search box to access Resultant set of policy.
    2. Check if the GPO is applied to these clients and the setting of the GPO is correct.

In addition, it would be helpful for future troubleshooting if you could help to collect the following information:

1. Did the GPO fail to apply for all the computers or only some computers?
    2. Can you set the user.bmp as the user logon picture manually?

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:20 AM

All replies

• have you checked the file size and dimensions of the picture are correct?

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

Help keep the forums tidy, if this has helped please mark it as an answer

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Monday, December 30, 2013 3:23 PM
  • also if I remember rightly this policy only applies for new users - not already existing ones - but might be wrong here.

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

Help keep the forums tidy, if this has helped please mark it as an answer

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Monday, December 30, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Size 29 KB

Dimension: 186X54

Monday, December 30, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Hi S.Vijay Kumar,

Based on my understanding, the GPO which configured the Apply the default user logon picture to all users would not apply successfully. What’s more, you have customized the default user logon picture %ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp. Right?

Firstly, please check if the scope of this GPO and the setting of Filtering are correct.

Secondly, please follow the steps below to check if the GPO is applied to these Windows XP clients:

1. Click Start, type rsop.msc in the search box to access Resultant set of policy.
    2. Check if the GPO is applied to these clients and the setting of the GPO is correct.

In addition, it would be helpful for future troubleshooting if you could help to collect the following information:

1. Did the GPO fail to apply for all the computers or only some computers?
    2. Can you set the user.bmp as the user logon picture manually?

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:20 AM
  • Is it safe to assume you are pushing the updated custom logo out to each client machine? You may need to push the file using GP preferences > files option. Also, set permissions on the file so that all users have proper access to the file.

Charlie Newman

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 6:56 PM