none
Server 2008R2 Netlogon Problem

Question

• For some reason, Netlogon seems to stop on our server.  I login and restart the service, and we are good to go.

No netlogon errors are in event viewer. 

The most relevant errors appear to be these:

Code 7030:  The Netlogon service is marked as an interactive service.  However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services.  This service may not function properly.

Code 7022: The Server service hung on starting.

I think Netlogon depends on Server.  The Netlogon flag for "interact" is cleared, so it is not marked for interactive.  Unless I've been hacked....

Would appreciate any help at all.  This is a public safety institution that runs 24 hours a day, so downtime is bad!

Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:42 PM

Answers

• I had a similar thing happening and it was because of the network card "unbinding" from the server, so when the service is stopped I bet you will not be able to open DNS or AD. So take a look at your network drivers and more importantly see if you have an ip address (or can ping out) when these services stop.
    Monday, July 01, 2013 7:44 PM

All replies

• Hello,

which server role are installed and which OS version do you talk about? Include SP/patch level from the server.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:22 AM
  • There is a deeper problem, there has to be something more in the logs. Is this a domain controller? Have you installed SP1?

Short term fix, you can write a batch file to restart the needed on service failure (in the services mmc).

The netlogon service should not be interactive, but do make sure the local system account is who it's logging in as.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:28 AM
  • This is a ONE SERVER shop, so this server does it all (AD, DNS, etc).

This is 2008 Server R2.  Yes, it has SP1 installed.

I have noticed the Server service seems to bomb first, then of course, netlogon stops since it is dependent on Server.  So maybe my issue is more of "Why is Server stopping"?

Appreciate any insight.

Monday, July 01, 2013 7:20 PM
  • I had a similar thing happening and it was because of the network card "unbinding" from the server, so when the service is stopped I bet you will not be able to open DNS or AD. So take a look at your network drivers and more importantly see if you have an ip address (or can ping out) when these services stop.
    Monday, July 01, 2013 7:44 PM