Visual bugs/flaws in Windows 8.1 Preview

Question

• 1. Start button not centered vertically

See this image (400% zoom):

This happens because the start button graphics is 25px high but the taskbar has a height of 40px. As long as the button graphics has a uneven height it cannot be centered on a background with even height, because one side will always be 1px higher than the other.

2. Window snap border render error

See this image (200% zoom):

When snapping a window to the left or right side of the screen, a preview rectangle is shown which uses the border graphics. The left side (only) is drawn incorrectly; the dark pixel line is missing.

3. Windows Explorer address bar highlight

See this image (400% zoom): 
    When the address bar in Windows Explorer is hightlighted, a 1px blue frame is drawn around it to indicate focus. The blue frame however is misplaced as it is drawn 1px too far to the inner of the text box, on the left and right side.

4. JPG wallpaper quality heavily reduced

See this image (200% zoom):

Whenever a JPG file is set as wallpaper, it suffers from heavy artifacts and color distortion as it is transcoded to a file less than 200kB each time. (The heavily compressed image is called "TranscodedWallpaper" and is stored in "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\")

Issue #4 is the most upsetting one for me; the wallpaper processing algorithms need to be revised! The other issues just require little tweaks I suppose.
    Someone please forward this to the developers directly!

Thank you.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

I will help you to submit these to our development team. Thank you again.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:17 AM
  • I recently got my hands on the RTM version of Windows 8.1 Pro (via DreamSpark) and was astonished to find that none of the reported issues have been fixed. All of those exist since the very first preview build of Windows 8 (8.0)!

Honestly I couldn't care less about #1 and #3, as they might as well be by design. But #4 (wallpaper crippling) and #2 (snap border rendering error) are definitely malfunctions!

Monday, September 30, 2013 8:22 AM