none
SQL 2012 sys.trace_xe_action_map and synonym dbo.trace_xe_action_map

Question

• Why would the creation of a synonym for sys.trace_xe_action_map to accommodate its relocation from its previous schema dbo.trace_xe_action_map not function correctly from the SharePoint 2007 Configuration Wizard?  The synonym works fine from within SQL Server Management Studio.  The execution of both is occurring under the same account.  Is there some other potential security issue I'm overlooking?

I am looking for the answer to this question, not a "SharePoint 2007 is not supported on SQL 2012" response. 

Thanks...Russ

Friday, December 20, 2013 8:40 PM

Answers

• Is there some other potential security issue I'm overlooking?

I don't suspect a security issue if you are using the same account.  I suggest you verify the query is being executed in the context of the same database as the synonym you created.

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

• Proposed as answer by Kalman TothModerator Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by RW5207 Monday, December 23, 2013 5:57 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 11:52 PM

All replies

• Is there some other potential security issue I'm overlooking?

I don't suspect a security issue if you are using the same account.  I suggest you verify the query is being executed in the context of the same database as the synonym you created.

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

• Proposed as answer by Kalman TothModerator Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by RW5207 Monday, December 23, 2013 5:57 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 11:52 PM
  • Thanks, Dan.  I believe you hit on the answer to my issue!

It appears when you create a synonym you must create it within the same context of the database in which you intend on using it.  I had no idea!

In my case, the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard cycles though many SharePoint databases as it attempts to upgrade them.  As a result, you must create the synonyms from within each database context as so:

use
    [SharePoint_AdminContent_a974ce72-f4c4-43ff-a3bc-fe08e4e0a553]

go

CREATE SYNONYM
    [dbo].[trace_xe_action_map] FOR [sys].[trace_xe_action_map];

CREATE SYNONYM
    [dbo].[trace_xe_event_map] FOR [sys].[trace_xe_event_map];

go

use [Database2]

go

CREATE SYNONYM
    [dbo].[trace_xe_action_map] FOR [sys].[trace_xe_action_map];

CREATE SYNONYM
    [dbo].[trace_xe_event_map] FOR [sys].[trace_xe_event_map];

go

Thanks for you help!  I have been successful and, as a result, will be posting a blog entry with my findings.

Russ

Monday, December 23, 2013 2:57 AM
  • Monday, December 23, 2013 6:00 PM
  • In addition to a blog, you may also want to publish it as a TechNet Wiki article. You may also want to enter this in the TechNet Guru competition, because this looks like an interesting problem and many users may benefit from your findings.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, December 23, 2013 8:06 PM