none
Ramifications of Switching from RDP Server Role to VPN

Question

• I have a Windows 2008 R2 server that's configured as a RDP server role.

I have a need to switch it to a VPN role...

I know all applications running should work properly except for possibly Office.

Office was installed as a RDP application, so I assume I'll need to uninstall it and reinstall a retail or open license version.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Sunday, September 08, 2013 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the question.

Firstly, it is obviously that you can reinstall a retail copy of Microsoft Office in your server.

However, As should be the volume version of Office in your RDS server, I think you can keep the installation of Microsoft Office and just assign a proper license to it.

Licensing Brief - Licensing of Microsoft Desktop Application Software for Use with Windows Server Remote Desktop Services

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/briefs/remote-desktop-services.aspx

In addition, if you have further questions about license, it is recommended to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support directly.

Thanks.

Best Regards
    Jeremy Wu

Monday, September 09, 2013 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the question.

Firstly, it is obviously that you can reinstall a retail copy of Microsoft Office in your server.

However, As should be the volume version of Office in your RDS server, I think you can keep the installation of Microsoft Office and just assign a proper license to it.

Licensing Brief - Licensing of Microsoft Desktop Application Software for Use with Windows Server Remote Desktop Services

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/briefs/remote-desktop-services.aspx

In addition, if you have further questions about license, it is recommended to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support directly.

Thanks.

Best Regards
    Jeremy Wu

Monday, September 09, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to check if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

Best Regards
    Jeremy Wu

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:39 AM