none
Unable to uninstall SQL after failed install

Question

• Completely stuck here.  I have a 2-node, Server 2008 R2 Failover cluster and I recently tried to install SQL Server 2008 R2 on the first node.

At the last step of the installation, I got an error related to the registration of the cluster resource.  I checked into it, and found that it occured because I pre-created the cluster computer object but didn't delegate control of it to the cluster virtual name.

The installer itself looked like it completed despite the error, but after correcting the delegation problem and manually starting the cluster resources, I couldn't connect to the SQL instance.

After a great deal of troubleshooting, I gave up and decided to just uninstall it.  However now I'm stuck there as well!  If I attempt a full removal, the Instance Removal test fails saying I need to run the "Remove Node" wizard.  BUT, if I try to run the Remove Node wizard, there's a dropdown for the SQL Server Instance Name, and it's just blank with no options available.

Can't move forward, can't go back.  Any ideas?

Monday, October 28, 2013 7:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Jester4kicks,

Clusters can be tricky when trying to uninstall, I had some success with this MS tool.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/

In some situations, I did still have to re install the OS.   But hopefully this magic tool will work for you!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the Mark as answer button if I answered your question, and vote as helpful if this reply helps you. Thank you!

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Completely stuck here.  I have a 2-node, Server 2008 R2 Failover cluster and I recently tried to install SQL Server 2008 R2 on the first node.

At the last step of the installation, I got an error related to the registration of the cluster resource.  I checked into it, and found that it occured because I pre-created the cluster computer object but didn't delegate control of it to the cluster virtual name.

The installer itself looked like it completed despite the error, but after correcting the delegation problem and manually starting the cluster resources, I couldn't connect to the SQL instance.

After a great deal of troubleshooting, I gave up and decided to just uninstall it.  However now I'm stuck there as well!  If I attempt a full removal, the Instance Removal test fails saying I need to run the "Remove Node" wizard.  BUT, if I try to run the Remove Node wizard, there's a dropdown for the SQL Server Instance Name, and it's just blank with no options available.

Can't move forward, can't go back.  Any ideas?

Hello,

The thing wih cluster is if one of the node installation goes wrong or somehow you manually troubleshoot the error then error (may be different) will again pop up while adding node to cluster so its good idea to completely uninstall the failed installation.

How to remove refer to below 2 links

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190438.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191545.aspx#Remove

Step by step http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2172/uninstalling-a-sql-server-clustered-instance/

The account with which you are trying to create install SQL server custer should have Right to create CNO in domain where you are installing cluster.If you have AD team please get in touch with them

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:23 AM
  • To remove a node from an existing failover cluster instance with the Database Engine and Analysis Services.

setup.exe /q /ACTION=RemoveNode /INSTANCENAME="<Insert Instance Name>" [/INDICATEPROGRESS]

setup.exe /q /ACTION=RemoveNode /INSTANCENAME="<Insert Instance Name>" [/INDICATEPROGRESS]

Refer to following link please :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191545(v=sql.100).aspx

----------------
    Thanks,Suhas Vallala

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:46 AM
  • Thanks for the command.  I gave it a shot, but no joy. Here's what I got.

D:\Install\SQL Server Enterprise 2008 R2\ISO extract>setup.exe /q /ACTION=Remove
    Node /INSTANCENAME="SYSTEM-P" [/INDICATEPROGRESS]
    Microsoft (R) SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup 10.50.1600.01 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. The following error occurred: MsiGetProductInfo failed to retrieve ProductVersion for package with Product Cod e = '{FBD367D1-642F-47CF-B79B-9BE48FB34007}'. Error code: 1605. Error result: 2064843076 Result facility code: 787 Result error code: 324 Please review the summary.txt log for further details

I pulled the summary log referenced.  Here's what it shows.  (Naming conventions, for reference: System-P is the instance name, System-PA0 is the cluster virtual name, and System-A2P and -A1P are the nodes in the cluster)

Overall summary:
      Final result:                  Failed: see details below
      Exit code (Decimal):           2064843076
      Exit facility code:            787
      Exit error code:               324
      Exit message:                  MsiGetProductInfo failed to retrieve ProductVersion for package with Product Code = '{FBD367D1-642F-47CF-B79B-9BE48FB34007}'. Error code: 1605.
      Start time:                    2013-10-29 11:29:49
      End time:                      2013-10-29 11:30:46
      Requested action:              RemoveNode
      Log with failure:              C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20131029_112911\Detail.txt
      Exception help link:           http%3a%2f%2fgo.microsoft.com%2ffwlink%3fLinkId%3d20476%26ProdName%3dMicrosoft%2bSQL%2bServer%26EvtSrc%3dsetup.rll%26EvtID%3d50000%26ProdVer%3d10.50.1600.1%26EvtType%3d0x4E099C65%400xE9BC3D64
    Cluster properties:
      Machine name: SYSTEM-A2P
      Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered 
      Sql Server 2008 R2   SYSTEM-P        MSAS10_50.SYSTEM-P        Analysis Services                        1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    Yes       
      Sql Server 2008 R2   SYSTEM-P        MSRS10_50.SYSTEM-P        Reporting Services                       1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    No        
      Sql Server 2008 R2                                                       Management Tools - Basic                 1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    No        
      Sql Server 2008 R2                                                       Management Tools - Complete              1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    No        
      Sql Server 2008 R2                                                       Client Tools Connectivity                1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    No        
      Sql Server 2008 R2                                                       Client Tools Backwards Compatibility     1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    No        
      Sql Server 2008 R2                                                       Integration Services                     1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    No        
      Machine name: SYSTEM-A1P
      Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered 
    Machine Properties:
      Machine name:                  SYSTEM-A2P
      Machine processor count:       4
      OS version:                    Windows Server 2008 R2
      OS service pack:               Service Pack 1
      OS region:                     United States
      OS language:                   English (United States)
      OS architecture:               x64
      Process architecture:          64 Bit
      OS clustered:                  Yes
    Product features discovered:
      Sql Server 2008 R2   SYSTEM-P        MSAS10_50.SYSTEM-P        Analysis Services                        1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    Yes       
      Sql Server 2008 R2   SYSTEM-P        MSRS10_50.SYSTEM-P        Reporting Services                       1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    No        
      Sql Server 2008 R2                                                       Management Tools - Basic                 1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    No        
      Sql Server 2008 R2                                                       Management Tools - Complete              1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    No        
      Sql Server 2008 R2                                                       Client Tools Connectivity                1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    No        
      Sql Server 2008 R2                                                       Client Tools Backwards Compatibility     1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    No        
      Sql Server 2008 R2                                                       Integration Services                     1033                 Enterprise Edition   10.50.1600.1    No        
    Package properties:
      Description:                   SQL Server Database Services 2008 R2
      ProductName:                   SQL Server 2008 R2
      Type:                          RTM
      Version:                       10
      SPLevel:                       0
      Installation location:         D:\Install\SQL Server Enterprise 2008 R2\ISO extract\x64\setup\
      Installation edition:          EVAL
    User Input Settings:
      ACTION:                        RemoveNode
      CONFIGURATIONFILE:             
      ENU:                           True
      FAILOVERCLUSTERNETWORKNAME:    <empty>
      FARMACCOUNT:                   <empty>
      FARMADMINPORT:                 0
      FARMPASSWORD:                  *****
      HELP:                          False
      IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS:  False
      INDICATEPROGRESS:              False
      INSTANCENAME:                  <empty>
      PASSPHRASE:                    *****
      QUIET:                         True
      QUIETSIMPLE:                   False
      UIMODE:                        Normal
      X86:                           False
      Configuration file:            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20131029_112911\ConfigurationFile.ini
    Detailed results:
    Rules with failures:
    Global rules:
    There are no scenario-specific rules.
    Rules report file:               C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20131029_112911\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm
    Exception summary:
    The following is an exception stack listing the exceptions in outermost to innermost order
    Inner exceptions are being indented
    Exception type: System.InvalidOperationException
            MsiGetProductInfo failed to retrieve ProductVersion for package with Product Code = '{FBD367D1-642F-47CF-B79B-9BE48FB34007}'. Error code: 1605.
        Data: 
          DisableWatson = true
        Stack: 
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetFeatureInstallStateAction.FillInstallPropertyByProductCode(PackageInstallProperty pkg, String prodCode)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetFeatureInstallStateAction.FillInstallProperty(PackageInstallProperty pkg)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetFeatureInstallStateAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetFeatureInstallStateAction.GetFeatureInstallState(ServiceContainer context, String instanceName, String sqlInstanceId, String asInstanceId, String rsInstanceId, String mediaPath)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetFeatureInstallStateAction.GetFeatureInstallState(ServiceContainer context, String instanceName, String mediaPath)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.FeatureTreeConfigurationBase.CreateFeatureTreeFactory(String instanceName)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.FeatureTreeConfigurationBase.LoadFeatureTreeDefinition(String instanceName)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.ExpandRemoveNodeFeatures.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.ExecuteActionHelper(TextWriter statusStream, ISequencedAction actionToRun)

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:08 PM
  • Hi Jester4kicks,

Clusters can be tricky when trying to uninstall, I had some success with this MS tool.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/

In some situations, I did still have to re install the OS.   But hopefully this magic tool will work for you!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the Mark as answer button if I answered your question, and vote as helpful if this reply helps you. Thank you!

I gave this a shot, and it listed multiple SQL components to "fix".  I started fixing each of them, but after the second successful one, it started failing to complete the fixes.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:55 PM
  • Hello,

The thing wih cluster is if one of the node installation goes wrong or somehow you manually troubleshoot the error then error (may be different) will again pop up while adding node to cluster so its good idea to completely uninstall the failed installation.

How to remove refer to below 2 links

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190438.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191545.aspx#Remove

Step by step http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2172/uninstalling-a-sql-server-clustered-instance/

The account with which you are trying to create install SQL server custer should have Right to create CNO in domain where you are installing cluster.If you have AD team please get in touch with them

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

I actually already went through all of those links, but thanks for posting them. I'm sure they'd be useful to someone whose install isn't as screwed up as mine. :P

The issue I'm running into shows up in the following screen (from your link): http://www.mssqltips.com/tipimages2/2172_Photo4.gif

In that screenshot, you can see where the "SQL Server Instance Name" dropdown shows "SP2010".  When I get to that stage, that dropdown is empty, so I can't select the instance to uninstall.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:55 PM
  • Thanks for the command.  I gave it a shot, but no joy. Here's what I got.

D:\Install\SQL Server Enterprise 2008 R2\ISO extract>setup.exe /q /ACTION=Remove
    Node /INSTANCENAME="SYSTEM-P" [/INDICATEPROGRESS]
    Microsoft (R) SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup 10.50.1600.01 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. The following error occurred: MsiGetProductInfo failed to retrieve ProductVersion for package with Product Cod e = '{FBD367D1-642F-47CF-B79B-9BE48FB34007}'. Error code: 1605. Error result: 2064843076 Result facility code: 787 Result error code: 324 Please review the summary.txt log for further details

Hi Jester4kicks,

According to your error message, First, is necessary to know that each product has a product code and an installation code as well (GUID). I recommend you reversing the GUID and simply search of it in registry. In your case it was 1D763DBF (just the first part), and we searched registry with that parameter and deleted all the entries we encountered. Then try again the installation .

For more information, you can review the following thread.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/89eb8038-68a6-4201-a784-aa0063f4d8c0/msigetproductinfo-failed-to-retrieve-productversion-for-package-during-install?forum=sqlsetupandupgrade

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 1:48 AM
  • You're probably on the right track.  I found a script that searches for the various product guids and builds individual uninstall commands for each of them.  I was able to remove almost everything using this method... but not all of it. 

At this point, I'm pretty much out of ideas, and even if I can salvage something, it really won't be good for my proof of concept.  I'm at the point where I'm just going to blow the cluster away and probably drop a new image on the server.  Costly lesson, but lesson learned.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 2:11 AM