none
How to increase the number of retries for an unattended domain join?

Question

• Windows 2008 R2 SP1

During the unattended setup process where the server joins the domain it sometimes fails due to networking drivers coming up slow.  The domain join times out before the server gets it IP address.

2013-06-26 10:09:02, Info                         [DJOIN.EXE] Unattended Join: Calling DsGetDcName for phx.gbl...

2013-06-26 10:09:18, Warning                      [DJOIN.EXE] Unattended Join: DsGetDcName failed: 0x54b, last error is 0x0, will retry in 5 seconds...

2013-06-26 10:09:38, Warning                      [DJOIN.EXE] Unattended Join: DsGetDcName failed: 0x54b, last error is 0x0, will retry in 5 seconds...

2013-06-26 10:10:00, Warning                      [DJOIN.EXE] Unattended Join: DsGetDcName failed: 0x54b, last error is 0x0, will retry in 5 seconds...

It tries 20 times but if it tried a few more times it would have an IP address from DHCP and would succeed.  I there a registry key I can set in the image before I reboot or maybe a setting in the unattend.xml where I can set the retry count?

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:08 PM

Answers

• It might not be an option for you, but we found that adjusting our networking configuration on the Cisco switches makes a huge difference to the time it takes for the link-layer to come up.
    Particularly, STP-Portfast and related "negotiate" settings, where we know that the switch ports will not be using trunking, there is no need to wait for the switch to negotiate all that stuff, speeds up the whole thing by 20seconds or more.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:59 AM

All replies

• In my opinion, this is not a nic connectivity issue.

Could you check your domain name in the unattend.xml file (<JoinDomain> tag) ? It should be the FQDN for the domain!

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:59 AM
  • Hello,

assure to use the FQDN in the file (domain.com) and not only the NetBios name (domain).

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, June 28, 2013 8:19 AM
  • I know its a network connectivity issue by looking at the event logs and when the DHCP lease was obtained. Yes the domain is FQDN.
    Friday, June 28, 2013 5:19 PM
  • It might not be an option for you, but we found that adjusting our networking configuration on the Cisco switches makes a huge difference to the time it takes for the link-layer to come up.
    Particularly, STP-Portfast and related "negotiate" settings, where we know that the switch ports will not be using trunking, there is no need to wait for the switch to negotiate all that stuff, speeds up the whole thing by 20seconds or more.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:59 AM

Don

Good thought. That should be the default but I will check.
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 8:42 AM
  • the other setting, is "switchport mode access", ensuring that the port has no need to trunk, and handle the detection/negotiation of the same (which leads to more time taken to bring the port up)

Don

Saturday, June 29, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Switch port is good. Does anyone know if the domain join happens during plug and play driver load?  Its looking like the domain join is happening at the same time the network drivers are being loaded.
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:48 PM