none
No internet access when a Windows 7 x64 client is not logged onto SBS 2011 essentials domain

Question

• I posted the following on the Microsoft Community but have been advise to post here as there has been no answer. I hope someone can help!

My laptop normally logs onto a work SBS 2011 Essentials domain.  However if I log onto the laptop when the server is not running (e,g. late at night) I get local network access but not internet. The same happens when I am out.

I have tried logging onto the laptop as a local user too (i.e. not using the domain) and the same happens.  The problem appears to be the DNS resolution, and if I try ipconfig it reports that the media is disconnected for each network device (wireless and wired).

I assume this must be something to do with a server policy but am not sure how to resolve it. It is fairly recent so I wonder if there has been some update that has caused this.

I did have a similar problem in the past cause by the Adobe CS3 range of products that I resolved. However that was a problem when logged onto the domain.

I hope someone can help :)

TIA

Andrew

Andrew

Saturday, November 16, 2013 3:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/09/22/running-dhcp-server-on-sbs-2011-essentials-with-a-static-ip.aspx

There is a bug wherein DNS may not always be reset.  if you move the dhcp back to the server and shut off this dynamic services, your life will be way easier.

Unfortunately TechNet isn't coming back, sorry folks :-(

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:23 AM
  • Thanks. The server is not left running 24/7 though. Surely the router needs to provide the DHCP in this instance?

I should also add that it used to be fine but now is not, so I wonder if is related to an update.

TIA

Andrew

• Edited by agouldtdc Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:26 PM
    Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:23 PM
  • A domain controller should be left on 24/7.  It's not due to an update, the client service just fails to let go every now and then.  Stop and restart the service on the client (the Essentials DNS service).

Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:32 PM
  • Thanks Susan. I shall try that.

Andrew

Saturday, December 07, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Just out of curiosity is there any particular reason why the server should be left on 24/7? It is not used a night. It is backed up to two USB drives that are rotated each day, so I shut it down, take the backup drive off site and then the next morning replace it with the other one and start up the server.

TIA

Andrew

Monday, December 09, 2013 10:27 AM
  • Servers are designed to run 24/7 and thus there are tasks that run middle of the night.  Also in the case of Essentials at night all file are closed, people are not in files and thus that's the best time to take a backup of a 'quiet' box.  During the day you have lots of open files and changes going on and thus it may be harder to know when you grabbed a backup of something.

I use the daytime to make a backup of the clients, I use the night to make a backup of the server.

Then there are maintanence routines (patching, disk clean up etc) that tasks run at night.

Monday, December 09, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Thanks for letting me know. I shall make some changes!

Andrew

Monday, December 09, 2013 10:57 PM