none
DPM 2010 - Agent not reachable on domain controller

Question

• Hello all,

I have installed a DPM 2010 on a Windows 2011 Small business Server, configured as Domain controller.

I have followed the instruction here, about installing DPM on a Domain Controller:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399416.aspx

After the installation, i have the error "Agent not reachable", after creating a new Protection Group.

Note: i have repeated more times the step 5 of procedure 4 from the guide, but the error is always present.

The error has ID 3122.

How i can debug that problem?

Cordially,

Claudio.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the agent is installed on the DC or only DPM is installed on it?

Where the agent is installed?

If you want to protect your DC (that host DPM) then you don't need any agent to do it.
    Uninstall DPM Client and create a protection group containing local data.

If you want to protect another server than the DC then it won't be possible.
    When installed on a DC, DPM will only protect local data sources.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Hi,

Only the DPM in installed on it.

I want to protect the DC, and i have created a protection group containing local data, but the error "Agent not reachable" is still here.

What can be?

Thank you,

Claudio.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:19 PM
  • If can be useful, in event log i have this error message:

The DPM protection agent on PDC.DOMAIN.local could not be contacted. Subsequent protection activities for this computer may fail if the connection is not established. The attempted contact failed for the following reason: (ID: 3122) The protection agent operation failed on PDC.DOMAIN.local. (ID: 303)
    3e8900b7-e112-462f-8142-a9d870b277e8
    PDC.DOMAIN.local
    PDC.DOMAIN.local
    Agent not reachable
    b7f21922-2913-4505-9cd4-bcaa305db3ed
    The DPM protection agent on PDC.DOMAIN.local could not be contacted. Subsequent protection activities for this computer may fail if the connection is not established. The attempted contact failed for the following reason: (ID: 3122) The protection agent operation failed on PDC.DOMAIN.local. (ID: 303)
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:59 AM
  • I'm having the same issue.

DPM 2010 is installed on a Server 2008 R2 domain controller running DFS shares.

I get the protection group setup and after 5 hours of synchronization, it comes back with "Agent not reachable".  Why do I need an agent to backup data on the local machine?

Thursday, June 28, 2012 1:54 PM