none
Dimension Attribute with key relation null

Question

• Hi guys, please help me. I'm really getting crazy. I got a situation like this:

Table product -- (key subcategory) -- Table Subcategory -- (key category) -- Table Category. Some product doesn''t have key subcategory.  It's like the famous issue adjustable race on adventure works. Now I would like to find two solution, one that run over the error, so if there isn't a relation just don't show error or anything else. The second to return me the value null (subcategory unknown). 

I opened the ( a lot of time) the panel proprierty of the dimension but in my case ( not like explained in a lot of website) Error Configuration doen't open any drilldown, and when I put Unknown member Visible nothing happens in the Unknown Member Name.

I'm getting confused and probably I'm doing some mistake.

Any advice?

Thanks

Saturday, September 21, 2013 4:08 PM

Answers

• Thank you David, I followed the Tutorial Procedure and now I resolved my issue, even though I'm going to understand how works. Just I put as colum key the product but I didn't like as solution. I could have work easily on TSQL changing the null but I need to ask to local DBA before, so I found out this solution.

One thing, what do you mean "in DSV"? You should have changed something there..?

Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Diego ,

For the Null as Unknown , it will be simple to do it in the DSV . For the Error configuration, do you see the 'change settings' when you're asking to process the dimension ? 

Regards, David .

Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:49 PM
  • Thank you David, I followed the Tutorial Procedure and now I resolved my issue, even though I'm going to understand how works. Just I put as colum key the product but I didn't like as solution. I could have work easily on TSQL changing the null but I need to ask to local DBA before, so I found out this solution.

One thing, what do you mean "in DSV"? You should have changed something there..?

Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Hi ,

As long as you have a solution .. :) product column as a key made the difference ?

"in DSV" means in the Data Source View in the BIDS, where can query a table/view for tour dimension/fact data, so you don't need the help of your DBA .

Hope it helps :)

Regards, David .

Monday, September 23, 2013 11:41 AM