none
Unable to Connect Remote Configuration Manager Console

Question

• I am having an issue that is similiar in nature to others where the Admin Console for 2012 is unable to connect to the database with the following displayed from the console

The Configuration Manager console cannot connect to the Configuration Manager site database. Verify the following:      •          This computer has network connectivity to the SMS Provider computer.      •      Your user account has Remote Activation permission on the Configuration Manager site server and the SMS Provider computer.      •             The Configuration Manager console version is supported by the site server.      •              You are assigned to at least one role-based administration security role.      •            You have the following WMI permissions to the Root\SMS and Root\SMS\site_<site code> namespaces: Execute Methods, Provider Write, Enable Account, and Remote Enable.

Here is the catch: I have approx 50 users all which have their own desktops using the admin console to connect. Almost all users are able to connect. (Leads me to believe the site servers are ok) Specifically so far two users can not connect, I have logged on as myself and verified that I too can not connect from those machines either, but can from other machines. I then had the users logon to other machines and voila they were able to logon. This really now points to s specific issue with these desktops.

I checked the SMSAdminUI.log files on both machines and I found they were reporting two different things:

User1 Log:

[1, PID:2368][01/23/2013 10:35:46] :Insufficient privilege to connect, error: 'Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))'\r\nSystem.UnauthorizedAccessException\r\nAccess is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))\r\n   at System.Management.ThreadDispatch.Start()

at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()

at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()

at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)\r\n

User2 Log:

[1, PID:5148][01/24/2013 12:18:53] :The performance counter '# images' was not found
    [4, PID:5148][01/24/2013 12:18:53] :The performance counter '# result objects in memory' was not found
    [4, PID:5148][01/24/2013 12:18:53] :The performance counter '# exceptions' was not found
    [4, PID:5148][01/24/2013 12:18:54] :The performance counter '# exceptions' was not found
    [4, PID:5148][01/24/2013 12:18:54] :The performance counter '# result objects in memory' was not found
    [4, PID:5148][01/24/2013 12:18:54] :The performance counter '# exceptions' was not found
    [5, PID:5148][01/24/2013 12:18:57] :The performance counter '# images' was not found
    [1, PID:5148][01/24/2013 12:18:58] :The performance counter '# images' was not found

Checked the event viewer nothing unusual..........

I have reviewed the steps to correct which are below and all of them check out! I am at a total loss of what to look for or at next......Any help would be appreciated.

Validate the errors in the AdminUI.log that is stored <Path where SCCM is installed>\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\AdminUILog Check the event viewer for any specific errors. Perform the below steps for generic issues:

1.Ensure DCOM is active

a. Expand Component services > Computers > Right click My Computer and go to
    "Properties".

b.Make sure that "Enable Distributed COM on this computer" is selected.

2.Validate the DCOM Permission

a.From the Start menu, click Run and type Dcomcnfg.exe.
    b.In Component Services, click Console root, expand Component Services, expand Computers, and then click My Computer. On the Action menu, click Properties.
    c.In the My Computer Properties dialog box, on the COM Security tab, in the Launch and Activation Permissions section, click Edit Limits.
    d.In the Launch Permissions dialog box, click Add.
    e.In the Select User, Computers, or Groups dialog box, in the Enter the object names to select (examples): box, type SMS Admins and click OK.
    f.In the Permissions for SMS Admins section, select the check box to allow Remote Activation.
    g.Click OK twice, and then close Computer Management

3.Verify WMI Permission
    a.
    On the SMS Provider computer, click Start, click Run, type wmimgmt.msc, and then click OK.

b.
    Right-click WMI Control, and then click Properties.

c.
    On the Security tab, expand Root, and then click SMS.

d.
    Click Security in the results pane to see the permissions.

e.
    Click Advanced, click SMS Admins, and then click View-edit.

f.
    If the SMS Admins group does not have Enable Account and Remote Enable permissions, grant the permissions.

g.
    Repeat this procedure for any groups used in addition to SMS Admins

4.Check whether the user has the necessary privileges to the SMS provider on the site server

5.Check whether the user has the necessary security rights to the database?

6.Verify namespace connectivity
    a.
    On the computer where the SMS Provider is installed, click Start, click Run, and then type wbemtest.

b.
    Click Connect, type , and then click Login.

c.
    Click Enum Classes, click Recursive, and then click OK.

d.
    In the Query Result list, double-click SMS_ProviderLocation.

e.
    Click Instances, and then double-click the line that contains the target site code. For example, SMS_ProviderLocation.SiteCode="ABC."

f.
    In the Properties section, locate the NamespacePath line. You might have to double-click this line to see the whole line.

g.
    Copy the NamespacePath value to the clipboard. For example, copy the following value:

h.

7.To verify server connectivity
    a.
    Close all WBEMtest windows from the preceding procedure.

b.
    Click Connect, paste the NamespacePath that you copied in the preceding procedure, and then click Login.

c.
    Click Enum Classes, click Recursive, and then click OK.

d.
    In the Query Result list, double-click SMS_Site.

8.Verify the SMS Provider details

a.Open sms\bin\i386\smsprov.mof and validate the following text in the mof file

b.instance of SMS_ProviderLocation

c.{

d.SiteCode = "ABC"; -- here ABC refers to 3 digit side code

e.Machine = "CAS Server name";

f.NamespacePath = "";

g.ProviderForLocalSite = TRUE;

h.;

9.Rebuild the namespaces:
    a.
    Recompiling the mofs located in the sms\bin\i386 directory will rebuild the namespace.

b.
    This has to be done on the site server itself. Open a command prompt and go to the sms\bin\i386 directory. Once there, enter the following commands:

1.mofcomp smsprov.mof
    2.mofcomp smsstub.mof
    3.mofcomp pollprov.mof
    4.mofcomp netdisc.mof
    5.mofcomp cpprov.mof
    6.mofcomp cmprov.mof

Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:07 PM