none
Migrating and Exchange 2010 server to an SBS 2011 server

Question

• I have a new client who's former IT guy installed Exchange 2010 on a clone server all with unlicensed software. They were quite surprised to find out that they weren’t legal. I have been getting there desktop licencing up to date and they have agreed to upgrading the Exchange 2010 server to an SBS 2011 server. This will allow us to get rid of the 2 clones, a files server/PDC and the Exchange 2010 server none of which are legal and are on clones with no RAID protection. I have ordered a new Dell server with SBS 2011 and now I am faced with an unusual migration problem. I have Googled my brains out and can’t find anything close to this in my searches. Does anyone know if or how this can be done. Is it just a simple case of moving the EDB files as if we were restoring from a backup or is it more complicated than that. There is only 10 people so exporting and importing the PST is also an option.

Friday, December 09, 2011 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From the problem description, I understand that you would like to migrate from Exchange server 2010 to SBS 2011.

Generally speaking, we always migrate from SBS 2003/2008 to SBS 2011. Towards your symptom, it’s not a usual migration processing. And there is no Microsoft Official documentation towards your scenario.

If you would like to move the users’ mailbox and settings to the destination server (SBS 2011), you could refer to the SBSmigration.com.

And all the guide of Windows Small Business Server Migration in the Microsoft Website, there is a link for your reference:

Title: Windows Small Business Server Migration

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sbs/gg981878

Regards,

James
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 9:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From the problem description, I understand that you would like to migrate from Exchange server 2010 to SBS 2011.

Generally speaking, we always migrate from SBS 2003/2008 to SBS 2011. Towards your symptom, it’s not a usual migration processing. And there is no Microsoft Official documentation towards your scenario.

If you would like to move the users’ mailbox and settings to the destination server (SBS 2011), you could refer to the SBSmigration.com.

And all the guide of Windows Small Business Server Migration in the Microsoft Website, there is a link for your reference:

Title: Windows Small Business Server Migration

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sbs/gg981878

Regards,

James
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:56 AM