none
A patch is preventing the system from starting Windows server 2008 R2

Question

• I am working on a blue screened windows 2008 R2 server.  The startup repair from WinRE came failed with the message " A patch is preventing the system from starting".  Since i cannot boot i decided to use the DISM command you suggested.

dism.exe /Image:c:\ /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions   said completed successfully..  but still the blue screen came up.

Then i used  dism.exe /Image:c:\ /removepackage /Packagename:( the patch name ) .  This showed 100% complete. But after rebooting the get-packages shows the patch is still there with a comment "pending install".

Can anybody help me out with this.. Thanks in advance :)

• Edited by VijayKPV Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:24 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you offer us more information about the error information ,such as the BSOD code, when the issue occur, I don’t found the similar issue on general installed Windows 2008r2, if you are using the sysprep image to install 2008r2 please notice the sysprep Unsupported the following scenarios:

Microsoft does not support the following Sysprep scenarios:•Upgrades

Microsoft does not support the use of Sysprep to create images of an installation that has been upgraded. For example, if you install Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows 98, or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) and then upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP, you cannot use Sysprep to create a new image of that installation. Sysprep is only supported on clean installations. This restriction also applies to in-place upgrades, such as Windows XP-to-Windows XP upgrades.

Microsoft supports the use of Sysprep to create images of an installation that has been updated with a service pack.

•Production environment

Microsoft does not support the use of Sysprep for the following scenarios ◦To take a computer that has been running in production for extended period of time and run sysprep then create a new image or clone from the computer. Sysprep is designed to prepare new installations of Windows for imaging.

◦To run sysprep after imaging or cloning production computer for the purpose of changing the SID and computername to join the domain and make the computer unique. For example if you cloned or performed a Physical to Virtual(P2V) of a computer but want to leave the source computer running instead of decommissioning it.

When you use Sysprep to prepare an image of such a system, many problems may surface immediately or may be exposed at a later time that make it difficult to troubleshoot the system without a full understanding of the complete history of the changes. Therefore, in this scenario, you may have to rebuild the image if that installation has issues.

•Incompatible Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL)

•OEM installation image

•Overwritten default user profile

•Different processor vendors

The related KB:

Unsupported Sysprep scenarios

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828287/en-us

Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:43 AM
  • I have the same problem only this one will not get to a blue screen but reboots shortly after the mouse appears on the screen. 

The error codes details are below:

Event Name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 1 & 2: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 3: unknown

Problem Signature 4: 21200771

Problem Signature 5: ExternalMedia

Problem Signature 6: 16

Problem Signature 7: BadPatch

O.S. Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

ID: 1033

How would or should I go about removing this patch?

Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Hi Bfewell,

I used the dism command as mentioned in my post.

dism.exe /Image:c:\ /get-packages

dism.exe /Image:c:\ /removepackage /Packagename:"package name from above result"

You need to do the above from recovery X:\

But it would have been so easy if startup repair had suggested which patch  :(

Cheers

• Edited by VijayKPV Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:53 AM
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:55 AM