none
Capture & Deployment of Windows 8 Pro on Microsoft Surface Pro

Question

• Capture & Deployment of Windows 8 Pro on Microsoft Surface Pro

Here is what i have.  I have a MDT/WDS server set up with latest patches and all task sequences configured properly.  I have tested deploying Windows 8 via a Hyper-V virtual machine and am able to deploy the OS without issue.  I have created a basic Windows PE boot disc using online instructions which boots from the Microsoft Surface Pro correctly from USB drive to a WINPE command line.

My situation is this.  The Microsoft Surface Pro does not have an ethernet port or the ability to PXE boot on it's own.  To bypass this i have created a WINPE boot disc that does work and get's to a command prompt.  I have connected a USB hub to be able to plug in both the USB drive and a USB network card.  The WINPE image does detect the network card and I am able to get an IP Address of which i can sucessfully ping the server.

What i need to find out is how can i get my WINPE to launch the MDT gui so i can capture and deploy the OS using the task sequences i have set up.  I usually just use PXE to connect to my LiteTouch images and the wizard goes from there.  I tried copying those files to the generic WINPE disc i made but i'm guessing there is more configuration necessary to get this to work.  Without being able to use PXE i'm hoping that i can use WINPE to boot up while finding the USB nic and have it find the deployment server.  I know there is a way to create a disc that does this but not sure how to go about it. 

The goal start to finish would be to craft a custom image on the Microsoft Surface Pro, capture and deploy it's image using MDT, and have the ability to capture & deploy images from this unit using a USB network card and a USB boot environment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Jsalisbu

• Edited by Jsalisbu Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:33 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:25 PM

Answers

• Here are the instructions I received from Microsoft:

Installing Windows 8 Enterprise on Surface PRO

Create a USB stick with either the Windows 8 Enterprise ISO or your IT build

It is important that this be formatted FAT32 due to compatibility with UEFI.

Run Diskpart (just type diskpart from start screen) and acknowledge the User Account Control dialog

Run the following Commands

Command

What it does

List disk

Shows all mounted disks. Find your USB flash by looking at   the size.

Select Disk n

Select the disk that future commands will use. Replace ‘n’   with the disk # for your USB flash drive.

NOTE: Be careful that you don’t   select your hard disk! The next command will wipe the selected drive clean.

Clean

Erases all previous partitions and volumes from the drive.

Create Part pri

Partitions the flash drive as one partition for the whole   drive

Select part 1

Select the new partition

Active

Marks the partition as active so UEFI can boot from it

Format /FS=FAT32 Quick

Format the partition as FAT32 (not NTFS – very important)

Assign

Assign a drive letter

Exit

Exit Diskpart

Copy your image or the Windows Enterprise files to the drive

Mount the ISO you want to use. In Windows 8, just double click the file and it will be mounted to a drive letter. If you are just using a directory that you have created a build in, use that instead of the drive letter path below.

Copy the files to the USB drive

Robocopy <source path> <USB drive letter> *.* /s /e /z

Copy needed drivers to USB stick

Drivers are also attached in this word document, but below is where you can find them. You can open this zip file and copy its contents to the USB stick.

Download Marvell AVASTAR 350N driver from Windows Update Catalog - http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx

Double Click .cab file and copy contents to a directory on the USB stick

Copy C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\surfaceaccessorydevice.inf_amd64_74faf8b2bdd32b88 directory to the flash drive

Install Windows 8 onto Surface PRO

Insert USB stick into Microsoft Surface PRO

Shutdown Microsoft Surface PRO

Boot to USB by holding down vol down and then press the power button. Keep holding volume down until you see the USB booting.

Go through setup.

Install wireless and other Surface Drivers

Open device manager

Right Click Marvell Wireless Device – select update driver software

Choose “Browse my computer for Software”

Browse or enter path for the directory on the USB where you put the network driver

Right click the Unknown Device – select update driver software

Browse or enter path for the directory on the USB where you put the surfaceaccessorydevice driver

Back in device manager, right click the last question mark device (if there is one) – select update driver software

Click automatically install driver and Windows will find the driver online

Join your wireless network and run Windows Update

Congratulations!

You are running Windows Enterprise and should have all drivers. Now you can join the domain and continue any post build processes.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:50 PM
  • We were finally able to run a Windows 8 Enterprise SCCM 2012 SP1 Task Sequence on the Surface Pro!

Here are the steps that we took for a lite-touch OS deployment:

1. Create a driver package for the Surface Pro & add it to your (UEFI compatible) task sequence to deploy Windows 8 Enterprise (How can I deploy Windows 8 X64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro using Configuration Manager 2012 SP1)

2. Find a USB LAN adapter & add the adapter driver into your boot image (we used this one)

3. Use the 'Create Task Sequence Media Wizard' to create 'Bootable media' (flash drive / thumb drive) and specify that it should use the boot image with the USB LAN drivers.

4. Get a USB hub. Plug-in your USB LAN adapter and the Bootable media (flash drive / thumb drive).  Then plug the USB hub into your Surface Pro.

5. While the Surface Pro is off, hold down the 'volume down' button, then press 'power' once.  Keep holding down the 'volume down' button until you see the 'Loading Files' screen.   

6. The Surface Pro will automatically boot into the 'bootable media' (Windows PE).  Assuming your LAN adapter is detected and working, you should then be able to select any advertised task sequence!  We created a specific task sequence that installs all the drivers (from the driver package in step 1). 

Friday, March 08, 2013 3:03 PM

All replies

• Just use 7zip or something like that to extract the boot iso to a USB thumb drive.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Ok so far what i have found is that even though i upgraded my server i needed to uninstall Windows AIK and install Windows ADK.  Then needed to update the deploymentshare and completely rebuild the boot images.  I then burned a copy of the boot iso to a cd just to see if i could do it and low and behold it boots to the deployment wizard just fine.  Now i got the hurdle if injecting the USB NIC driver cause it bombs out after and can't connect to the deployment share during the capture task sequence.  Baby steps.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Not really an answer but it would be nice to know what USB Ethernet adapter (and what button combination to press during power on) Microsoft requires for the Surface Pro to WDS boot from the network. Unless of course the Surface Pro is not intended for enterprise use which would start a whole other discussion...

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:39 PM
  • I am using a IOGEAR 4 port USB hub (model number GUH285) off the main USB port on the Surface.  Connected to this i have a mouse, LiteOn external DVD/CD drive (model number eNAU108), and a Lenovo USB ethernet adaptor (model number k33905).  So i was not able to PXE boot from this unit yet.  However i can boot from the CD drive into the WINPE environment and actually start the MDT deployment screen by using the iso in the deploymentshare/boot folder and just burned it to cd.  I injected the driver to the boot image so it detects the NIC.  All of this just to remember that in order to capture the image i have to be logged on to the machine and navigate to the deploymentshare/scripts folder and run the LiteTouch.vbs file to start the wizard.  It bombs out after choosing the task sequence and that is where i'm stuck.  I get like a pink screen with an error...baby steps.  I know the task sequence works because it works perfect from my virtual machine and finishes just fine.  Right now it's just figuring out why it bombs with the Surface...UEFI bios maybe?  Hard drive controller driver?  Still truckin...

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:04 PM
  • You're probably right on uEFI.

Your task sequence will by default create a MBR disk, which cannot be used on a uEFI machine (I don't remember if the mdt scripts pick this up and make the appropriate changes to the default disk configuration or not). You could change the "Disk Type" from Standard MBR to GPT.

I can't test this since I don't have a uEFI machine yet.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCC-2011.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT 2012 Update 1

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:32 PM
  • We're fighting the same battle since last week when they arrived. The recovery partition is a pain to keep around when we should just be able to PXE the things. We found that holding down the volume down during powerup will look for boot devices on USB and works for a CD/DVD rom. We're going to throw lite touch PE on a CD tomorrow and see if we can accomplish the same thing without the crash. Will keep you posted.
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:26 AM
  • Ok another big step in the right direction.  After double checking the server to see if it had the latest software i noticed a bunch of Windows Updates.  I made sure to do them all and even though I don't think that is what fixed the issue I though I would at least mention this.  After further googling i found a link to a Microsoft thread that wants you to add lines to your LTIApply.wsf script that now allows me to capture the image.  I will mention that in order to "capture" the image you have to be logged into Windows as an administrator and admin share to the deploymentshare folder and run the LiteTouch.vbs script manually which starts the process.  After I did that the machine sucessfully did all the correct steps and rebooted the machine to start capturing the WIM image.  The reference I found is...

Cause

This problem occurs because the LTIApply.wsf script fails to check for the existence of the boot folder on the system partition before running the command takeown.exe to change ownership on the folder. The takeown.exe command fails with a "Not Found" error if the boot folder doesn't exist and causes the Sysprep and Capture task sequence to fail.

Back to the top | Give Feedback

Workaround

To workaround this problem you must edit the following files:•%DeployRoot%\Scripts\LTIApply.wsf (%DeployRoot% is the path you specified when the deployment share was created.)
    •C:\Program files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates\Distribution\Scripts\LTIApply.wsf
    Locate the "Copy bootmgr" section in LTIApply.wsf and add the following code above the existing code under the section:

If not oFSO.FolderExists(sBootDrive & "\Boot") then
       oFSO.CreateFolder(sBootDrive & "\Boot")
    End if

I'm still waiting for the WIM file to be done and see if there are any errors in the log but it's looking good so far and no more error on this task capture task sequence...well as of yet haha.

Friday, February 22, 2013 10:24 PM
  • Does anyone have an update on the ability to PXE boot a Surface Pro?  It's been hard to find information on that device :)
    Monday, February 25, 2013 6:59 PM
  • I have ordered a Fujitsu USB NIC that states that it can PXE boot.  However it has not arrived yet so not sure.  I was able to image the machine by creating a CD of the LiteTouch ISO and booted the surface device from a USB CD DVD Rom and USB Network Card both connected to a USB hub.  I know it sounds complicated but the device only comes with one USB port.  I have sucessfully deployed a custom image this way to the surface.  I'm hoping the USB NIC we ordered works cause it is just a faster less complicated process.  But it can be done the other way too.
    Monday, February 25, 2013 7:03 PM
  • I was able to boot a Surface Pro from 'Bootable media/USB Flash Drive' created in SCCM 2012 SP1.  But, as you can expect, it failed because no NIC was present.  (That USB hub sounds crazy - but it's the only real solution right now :-))

We are getting a few more Surface Pros for testing in a week or two.... I'll see what we can come up with.    All I really want to do is PXE boot the Surface....

Does anyone understand PXE booting with UEFI?  Any documentation for booting the Surface Pro?

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:50 PM
  • Does PXE boot work with a Microsoft-provided or other USB Ethernet dongle?
    • Edited by MyGposts Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:08 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Here are the instructions I received from Microsoft:

Installing Windows 8 Enterprise on Surface PRO

Create a USB stick with either the Windows 8 Enterprise ISO or your IT build

It is important that this be formatted FAT32 due to compatibility with UEFI.

Run Diskpart (just type diskpart from start screen) and acknowledge the User Account Control dialog

Run the following Commands

Command

What it does

List disk

Shows all mounted disks. Find your USB flash by looking at   the size.

Select Disk n

Select the disk that future commands will use. Replace ‘n’   with the disk # for your USB flash drive.

NOTE: Be careful that you don’t   select your hard disk! The next command will wipe the selected drive clean.

Clean

Erases all previous partitions and volumes from the drive.

Create Part pri

Partitions the flash drive as one partition for the whole   drive

Select part 1

Select the new partition

Active

Marks the partition as active so UEFI can boot from it

Format /FS=FAT32 Quick

Format the partition as FAT32 (not NTFS – very important)

Assign

Assign a drive letter

Exit

Exit Diskpart

Copy your image or the Windows Enterprise files to the drive

Mount the ISO you want to use. In Windows 8, just double click the file and it will be mounted to a drive letter. If you are just using a directory that you have created a build in, use that instead of the drive letter path below.

Copy the files to the USB drive

Robocopy <source path> <USB drive letter> *.* /s /e /z

Copy needed drivers to USB stick

Drivers are also attached in this word document, but below is where you can find them. You can open this zip file and copy its contents to the USB stick.

Download Marvell AVASTAR 350N driver from Windows Update Catalog - http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx

Double Click .cab file and copy contents to a directory on the USB stick

Copy C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\surfaceaccessorydevice.inf_amd64_74faf8b2bdd32b88 directory to the flash drive

Install Windows 8 onto Surface PRO

Insert USB stick into Microsoft Surface PRO

Shutdown Microsoft Surface PRO

Boot to USB by holding down vol down and then press the power button. Keep holding volume down until you see the USB booting.

Go through setup.

Install wireless and other Surface Drivers

Open device manager

Right Click Marvell Wireless Device – select update driver software

Browse or enter path for the directory on the USB where you put the network driver

Right click the Unknown Device – select update driver software

Browse or enter path for the directory on the USB where you put the surfaceaccessorydevice driver

Back in device manager, right click the last question mark device (if there is one) – select update driver software

Click automatically install driver and Windows will find the driver online

Join your wireless network and run Windows Update

Congratulations!

You are running Windows Enterprise and should have all drivers. Now you can join the domain and continue any post build processes.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:50 PM
  • Dear Guys, our goal is to setup a Surface pro with a software-distribution system!

So the big barrier is to do something like "PXE boot" into a company network.

Is there anyone that has information about how to do that with a Surface pro and UEFI?

How to connect to a network (USB-strick and "which" USB/LAN adapter / or WLAN)?

Installation should be done completely by software distribution, incl. Windows-8 pro install and additional software!

Has anyone done this with a Surface pro anywhere until yet ???

Thanks for information...:-)

Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:27 AM
  • People keep referring to using USB thumb drives, but that is not practical for all situations.  It is a step backwards.

There is a USB Gigabit Ethernet dongle Lenovo makes that works with Lenovo ultrabooks like the X1 Carbon.  Lenovo makes 2 USB dongles, but only one of the two models is PXE capable.

I have no idea if it would work with the Surface Pro.  Besides drivers, I think the bios has to support PXE booting also.

Is the Surface Pro capable of PXE booting and using MDT deployment from a USB Ethernet dongle or not?

Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:22 PM
  • in reply to the UEFI part.

mdt picks up if it is started as UEFI or not at the initial gather.

so far i haven't found any problems with uefi they install just fine with the same task sequence used for MBR computers

Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:12 PM
  • For what it's worth - When Microsoft provided me with the instructions above they also mentioned that a firmware update to the Surface Pro would be released within 4 weeks that will enable PXE.
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:46 PM
  • That's good.  I'm surprised they released it without PXE booting support from the beginning.

Also no vPro either.

Makes it look like they intended it more for personal use than in an enterprise environment.

• Edited by MyGposts Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:21 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:20 PM
  • you might find this helpful, here's how to Deploy Windows 8 X64 Enterprise to the Surface Pro using Configuration Manager 2012 SP1

Step by Step Configuration Manager Guides > 2012 Guides | 2007 Guides | I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

Saturday, March 02, 2013 9:07 PM
  • The guide over at Deploy Windows 8 x64 to the microsoft surface Pro Using Configuration Manager 2012 sp1 really gives a few helpful pointers (as always with the guys at windows-n00b) but I know for a fact I cannot use that in my enviroment, mainly becuse we run dynamic VLANs for our clients based on macadress (their identity) and we have not implemented that for WiFi and only have secure SSIDs that needs kerberos authentication to alow connections, which is really not a swell process to automate during deployment.

However, the question about "is there a working USB to Ethernet dongle for the Surface RT" gets an answer here.

"Yes. But so far, only one USB-to-Ethernet driver works with the Surface RT.
    And, that driver only works with USB-to-Ethernet adapters using the AX88x72A chipset chipset.
    That chipset is found in several brands of 10/100 USB-to-Ethernet adapters. It's not found in any 10/100/1000 adapters, however.
    A website named Plugable lets you download the free driver and buy their adapter.
    However, if you already own an adapter that uses that chipset, you can just download the driver and install it yourself."

The AX88x72A chipset they are talking about is a sister chipset to the Dongle Lenovo uses for their X1 Carbon. However the Usb-to-Ethernet dongle Lenovo uses for their X1 Carbon to give it PXE possibilities, seems to work only for X1 Carbon. I have a X1 Carbon, a Dell XPS 13, a HP EliteBook Folio ultrabook and a Samsung Series 9 ultrabook. The X1 Carbon dongle does only work for the X1. Same with the other, the Dell XPS 13 dongle - only Dell XPS 13 etc (and the Folio got a physical NIC).

But the AX88x72A chipset gives hope though. _IF_ it works on the Surface PRO, a possible solution would be: Create bootable USB - put on your standard WinPE boot media with AX88x72A chipset dongle drivers - boot from USB and hopefully it has working drivers to be able to establish a network connection to the deploymentshare.

True, you have to start from a USB stick, since the dongel does not have PXE support, but as long as the dongle has working drivers in WinPE, there should be no issue to deploy your OS to it.

Sunday, March 03, 2013 9:40 AM
  • I have a couple Surface Pros coming in for testing and wanted to be ready to image them.

We use WDS so I would prefer to use PXE boot like normal but for now just to get our corporate image on them with Enterprise edition to support Direct Access I did this.

THIS DID NOT WORK FOR THE SURFACE, UEFI DOESN"T SUPPORT NTFS BOOT. :(. Will work with non UEFI systems

1. Download windows 7 USB boot Tool (works with a windows 8)

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

2. install the tool

3. make a usb install with the default windows 8 ISO

4. delete the install.win image from the sources directory

5. copy your enterprise syspreped image to the sources directory and rename it to install.win

6. use the usb drive to install, haven't tested on a surface pro(haven't received them yet) but works fine on a different machine I'm testing on 

This is a temp solution but, since they should be releasing a new BIOS with PXE support, I just wanted to get them imaged until then.  I'm planning on rolling out a lot of these so I hope they get PXE support soon. 

• Edited by datobin1 Friday, March 08, 2013 1:09 PM No go on the surface pro
    Monday, March 04, 2013 8:52 PM
  • I am seriously envious that you can get your hands on the Surface Pro, no news for us over in Europe yet :/ We used WDS to deploy thick images for our computerlabs, but I put an end to that when I returned to the University since it pretty much killed the poor guy that had to do maintinace and upgrades to 40+ thick images every quarter.

With a AX88x72A dongel and correct drivers on your WinPE media you should be able to boot from usb, and load from your WDS.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 2:15 PM
  • If Microsoft does update the BIOS to support PXE I hope they recommend an adapter that does require boot media and drivers.
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 5:25 AM
  • OK new quick dirty way just to get your image on the Surface pro.

1. Make a recovery disk on the surface pro

2. split your enterprise image into smaller files with imagex /split

3. Copy .swm files to the source directory on the recovery disk

4. boot into recovery and use the reset option.

Just did this quick and it works fine but you need to add back the drivers if you have not injected them in to the image.

Planning on ordering a USB Ethernet adapter but this works for now,  BTW Use a real USB disk if you have one handy to make the process faster.  I had a USB SSD Thumb drive and it made the process quick.

Friday, March 08, 2013 2:45 PM
  • We were finally able to run a Windows 8 Enterprise SCCM 2012 SP1 Task Sequence on the Surface Pro!

Here are the steps that we took for a lite-touch OS deployment:

1. Create a driver package for the Surface Pro & add it to your (UEFI compatible) task sequence to deploy Windows 8 Enterprise (How can I deploy Windows 8 X64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro using Configuration Manager 2012 SP1)

2. Find a USB LAN adapter & add the adapter driver into your boot image (we used this one)

3. Use the 'Create Task Sequence Media Wizard' to create 'Bootable media' (flash drive / thumb drive) and specify that it should use the boot image with the USB LAN drivers.

4. Get a USB hub. Plug-in your USB LAN adapter and the Bootable media (flash drive / thumb drive).  Then plug the USB hub into your Surface Pro.

5. While the Surface Pro is off, hold down the 'volume down' button, then press 'power' once.  Keep holding down the 'volume down' button until you see the 'Loading Files' screen.   

6. The Surface Pro will automatically boot into the 'bootable media' (Windows PE).  Assuming your LAN adapter is detected and working, you should then be able to select any advertised task sequence!  We created a specific task sequence that installs all the drivers (from the driver package in step 1). 

Friday, March 08, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Excellent work and great news Nate :)
    Saturday, March 09, 2013 11:06 AM
  • Did they add PXE boot options with today's update? 
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:00 PM
  • I didn't see it listed in the update list. 

3/12/13 Update for the Surface Pro:

• Fixes to Wi-Fi reliability allowing for better roaming and improvements to "Limited" connectivity scenarios
    • Windows To Go feature is enabled
    • Improved onscreen keyboard detection synchronization when going in and out of sleep
    https://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/support/performance-and-maintenance/pro-update-history
    • Edited by Colby Clark Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:31 PM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:02 PM
  • Windows to Go wasn't available in the initial release?  Wow...
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:55 PM
  • I was told the firmware for PXE may not be coming until Q3 2013 (at which time Microsoft will be releasing an Ethernet dongle for the Surface).  The date is not firm and timelines may change. 

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 3:13 PM
  • I'm guessing this will coincide with the Surface Pro 2 release date.  Probably early fall time range. They better not charge more than $20 for the dongle.  I can get a generic one for $5.
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:04 PM
  • That's my guess. Surface 2 and the Windows 'Blue' update.
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:07 PM
  • Update

I have setup a pxe boot a little different than what has been described here.

Quick dirty PXE boot using Windows Deployment server

1. Make a bootable usb stick using windows 7 usb tool, copy the files over to a stick formatted FAT32

2. inject usb Ethernet driver in to a boot image

3. create a discover image from the boot image

4. copy the discover image to the usb stick /sources directory name it boot.wim

5. plug the usb stick and usb Ethernet into a hub, plug the hub in to the surface pro turn it on holding the volume down button, boot and image via your WDS

I have tested this and it works fine.  I'm going to make a few of these setups to start imaging the surface

Friday, March 15, 2013 2:06 PM
  • Where are the drivers for the Surface Pro itself that you would use to deploy a custom Windows 8 Pro image?  When I search the web for Surface Pro drivers, I get links to a bunch of third party sites instead of Microsoft.com.  Seems sketchy.

Doesn't Microsoft host the driver download links themselves or do all the drivers come through automatically from Windows Update/WSUS?

Saturday, March 16, 2013 7:21 AM
  • I have imaged the surface pro without injecting drivers and then just added a network driver to run windows update.  Windows update seems to clear up all the unknown devices and installs 4+ drivers but not sure you will have the best driver installed by doing it that way.

Now that I have PXE boot setup to use WDS I have added the drivers to my WDS sever driver group.  I downloaded them from here:

http://crashctrl.com/2013/02/surface-pro-drivers/

With these drivers available on my WDS server the only driver that is missing is the Typecover and it gets that on the first windows update. (this doesn't prevent it from working)

Monday, March 18, 2013 1:34 PM
  • I have imaged the surface pro without injecting drivers and then just added a network driver to run windows update.  Windows update seems to clear up all the unknown devices and installs 4+ drivers but not sure you will have the best driver installed by doing it that way.

Now that I have PXE boot setup to use WDS I have added the drivers to my WDS sever driver group.  I downloaded them from here:

http://crashctrl.com/2013/02/surface-pro-drivers/

With these drivers available on my WDS server the only driver that is missing is the Typecover and it gets that on the first windows update. (this doesn't prevent it from working)

Yes, I saw the drivers on that site, but WHY are the drivers on some bloggers website instead of on the Microsoft web site?  An enterprise deploying the Surface Pro needs to blindly trust and download the drivers from this site crashcrtl site and hope the site has not been exploited with malware assuming the site owner is well-meaning posting free drivers online?

Seems very bizarre and unprofessional that Microsoft does not have the Surface Pro drivers directly on their own download site and that ALL the correct drivers are not in Windows Update.

This is very embarrassing at best and is another reason it looks like the Suface Pro was not intended for use in a custom image that uses either volume licensed version of Windows 8 Professional or else Windows 8 Enterprise.  

Using the provided recovery image with OEM licensed version of Windows 8 Pro from the recovery partition or transferred to a USB stick seems like the only supported method to reimage and deploy a Surface Pro.

• Edited by MyGposts Monday, March 18, 2013 3:06 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Does anyone have any idea on why Microsoft does not provide official drivers for the Surface Pro that can be used with an MDT deployment?

It seems dangerous to download drivers from a third party site instead of directly from Microsoft. 

Does Microsoft not have some kind of Enterprise deployment plan for the Surface Pro?

How is the actual hardware vendor?  Do they not have drivers available?

Are all of the drivers going into Windows Update or are they already available from Windows Update and WSUS?

Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:14 AM
  • If PXE boot support ever comes with an update, is the Surface Pro the types of hardware that will require your WDS server to be running on Server 2012 to work with MDT?
    Wednesday, April 03, 2013 6:02 AM
  • Howdy, I have a small guide for MDT here that deals specifically with the Surface Pro if that is any help.

Also, the Surface Pro will likely not require Server 2012 but it does require the latest WADK, MDT 2012 (if you are using MDT) and likely the latest version of SCCM so I would bet it will require the latest WDS. I do not believe the server OS matters (yet).

But this is all untested as PXE is not yet supported. MS has stated (or at least I read somewhere) that PXE is in the works for the Surface Pro. All part and parcel of MS's inability to see that the Surface Pro should have been specifically tailored and aimed at the Enterprise.

• Edited by DAOV Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:08 PM
    Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:19 PM
  • I got my Surface Pro today (Sweden, we are not suppose to have it yet, do not ask :) ), and I preped my MDT with the drivers from DAOV's site. Everything works as expected but one thing... Other then that the same normal guidelins apply to install it: boot from PXE, have usb hub with a USB to Ethernet dongel you have drivers for and works.

But alas..

After OS has been installed, and it has run dism.exe and reboots, it kinda wants to hangaround at the "Surface" logo with a "please wait while we install a system update" text for quite some time. First time I kind of got restless after 10 minutes and fiddled with the powerbutton a bit, and then it booted into OS, installed devices and such. I however forgott to inject the USB to Ethernet dongel drivers so it got a bit upset.

Just did a re-run of the installation, and again, Surface image with the same "please wait while we install a system update" has been around now for quite some time, and it seems a shutdown, and a Power on is needed to get it to continue running the installation (getting devices ready, etc etc)

Anyone else seen the same thing?

Edit: Seems to be connected that the Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware shows up in the device manager with a errorcode (code 14) that makes it get stuck at booting sometimes.

Friday, April 05, 2013 12:32 PM
  • Does anyone have any idea on why Microsoft does not provide official drivers for the Surface Pro that can be used with an MDT deployment?

It seems dangerous to download drivers from a third party site instead of directly from Microsoft. 

Does Microsoft not have some kind of Enterprise deployment plan for the Surface Pro?

Are all of the drivers going into Windows Update or are they already available from Windows Update and WSUS?

You can use a driver extraction tool to get the drivers yourself, and reuse them in your MDT Workbench as you see fit.
    Friday, April 05, 2013 1:15 PM

You can use a driver extraction tool to get the drivers yourself, and reuse them in your MDT Workbench as you see fit.

Yes, I have seen a few "workarounds" that people have used to get past this issue.  A driver extraction tool found online itself is a sketchy piece of software.  Why should we have to do that anyway?

I was curious why Microsoft doesn't just provide driver downloads in a normal way like Dell, Lenovo, HP etc?  I think Apple is the only other one that doesn't and that's because all the drivers are already included in the OSX OS or automatically downloaded through software updates.

I already called Surface Pro support and they have no solutions.

Friday, April 05, 2013 2:14 PM

Yes, I have seen a few "workarounds" that people have used to get past this issue.  A driver extraction tool found online itself is a sketchy piece of software.  Why should we have to do that anyway?

I was curious why Microsoft doesn't just provide driver downloads in a normal way like Dell, Lenovo, HP etc?  I think Apple is the only other one that doesn't and that's because all the drivers are already included in the OSX OS or automatically downloaded through software updates.

You could probably do like this.

- Install Win 8 Enterprise (or pro) bare minimum - only Marvell AVASTAR 350N wifi drivers and the drivers for the USB to Ethernet Dongel you need.

- Deploy your OS to the Surface Pro - once it has finished, start up your WiFi  - go to manage your hardware - update your drivers for each of the missing hardware that shows up (remember to show hidden devices) - peekaboo, and you have all drivers from microsofts update catalog.

check your c:\windows\system32\driverstore for the when the new driver folders was created in the store, copy them - use them in your deploymentscenario to get them installed as you would normally do it.

Friday, April 05, 2013 8:00 PM
  • When I ran the MDT scenario for the Surface Pro, it would get stuck at that point due to the domain joining. I had given the computer a name to join to the domain but did not create that computer account in AD. I have also found the Surface Pro to be difficult during the domain join if you point it at a particular OU. Anything like that going on for you?

The error code 14 problem has been going around as well and seems to indicate a failure to install or connect to the firmware properly after the latest series of updates. Some have been able to press the Restart option that shows up in Device Manager for the device with the Error 14. Do you have that?

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Hi,

I run Things That Might Interest Nerds. I created the page specifically because MS was NOT providing the level of support for the drivers that was needed. When I deployed a Surface Pro, it was a headache getting ahold of all of the drivers.

If you feel our site is dangerous, fine but I can state emphatically we did this simply because no one else was.

Many of the drivers listed on our site are not sent out via Windows Update and are not in the Enterprise driverstore. You can pull them from the driver store of your recovery partition/drive on the Surface Pro. This is partition 5 on the default build image and that partition can be mounted and the WIM file copied out. The WIM file can be expanded and all the needed drivers can be culled from there. This WIM file will also be on a recovery drive if you create one.

I do want to emphasize that there is nothing dangerous about Things That Might Interest Nerds. The driver files that are listed there are neatly packed in a zip file so there is no special driver tool needed for their installation or to push them into MDT, SCCM or whatever. And these are pulled directly from the Surface Pro build image.

Regarding MS and their Enterprise deployment plan. MS had their heads up their keester on the Surface Pro. They specifically attempted to push it to individuals/consumers and had no understanding that this thing is brilliant for the Windows Enterprise environment.

Good luck!

• Edited by DAOV Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:09 PM
    Tuesday, April 09, 2013 4:28 PM
  • It doesn't look like Microsoft if really prepared for the Surface Pro to be used in a large enterprise environment or else there would be no need for all these workarounds.

Even the Atom based HP ElitePad is better suited for Enterprise deployment.  The issue with that is that it doesn't have the CPU power and RAM many will require for their work.

Maybe there will be a Surface Pro 2 released that will address the shortcomings and will actually be a real "Pro" device that is not supported by their consumer/home user hardware division.

The Thinkpad X1 Carbon and HP ElitePad  have Ethernet dongles that supports PXE booting, so it clearly is possible to do this even if the device is too thin to fit an onboard Ethernet port. http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-EliteBook/ElitePAD-PXE-boot-with-SCCM-2012-SP1/td-p/5988825

The next Surface Pro needs to have PXE booting, official downloadable driver packs for use with volume deployment, business tech support and business oriented warranties with overnight/next day/onsite support options etc.. Without, this it is hard to take this device seriously.  Simply "allowing" bulk orders of the Surface Pro http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-now-allowing-business-customers-to-buy-surfaces-in-volume-7000012817/ is not enterprise support. 

Friday, April 26, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Booting from USB dongles is pretty much up to the manufacturer to solve. I have both X1 Carbons, Dell XPS 13, Samsung Series 9's for testing, all of these uses dongels, but the dongles are not interchangeable. (Samsung however has a brilliant solution making PXE boot pretty much doable with all dongles)

The Atom being better suited for Enterprise deployment? if your Enterprise only run 32-bit Windows 8 I guess. My workplace runs Windows 7 x64 Enterprise as default OS, with Windows 8 x64 as optional choise, but they are both 64-bit, and they all can run the same applications. We have around 600 packaged - active - applications at the moment, and over 50% of these are 64bit version.

Adding 32bit Win 8 Pro would only have us repackage 300+ applications in 32 bit versions, manage another OS architecture (Add OS to deployment, add windows update rules for 32bit etc etc).

There are updates coming for the Surface Pro Q3, and rumored are the addition of PXE boot support with a usb-to-ethernet dongel. I run my SP right now, deployed like a normal ultrabook/laptop from my MDT, domain joined, pushing apps to it. Currently connected to a Lenovo X1 USB 3.0 dock, 2x24" monitors, keyboard, mouse, and it works better then expected.

Friday, April 26, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Bypassing the USB hub can be done by simply making a bootable micro SD card just like you made the regular flash disks bootable.  Doing so removed a bunch of the variables for my deployment, which works.  I followed the guide on crashctl and linked to my existing WDS server, DAOV did a great writeup: http://crashctrl.com/2013/04/surfacepro_mdt/

Read the whole thing and then read the comments before you make the attempt and it should come out fine.  MDT was way way easier to use to make this work than WDS and in the end it pulls a WDS image anyway.  My comments there are under "Jason" 

Friday, April 26, 2013 6:16 PM
  • Booting from USB dongles is pretty much up to the manufacturer to solve. I have both X1 Carbons, Dell XPS 13, Samsung Series 9's for testing, all of these uses dongels, but the dongles are not interchangeable. (Samsung however has a brilliant solution making PXE boot pretty much doable with all dongles)

The Atom being better suited for Enterprise deployment? if your Enterprise only run 32-bit Windows 8 I guess. My workplace runs Windows 7 x64 Enterprise as default OS, with Windows 8 x64 as optional choise, but they are both 64-bit, and they all can run the same applications. We have around 600 packaged - active - applications at the moment, and over 50% of these are 64bit version.

Adding 32bit Win 8 Pro would only have us repackage 300+ applications in 32 bit versions, manage another OS architecture (Add OS to deployment, add windows update rules for 32bit etc etc).

There are updates coming for the Surface Pro Q3, and rumored are the addition of PXE boot support with a usb-to-ethernet dongel. I run my SP right now, deployed like a normal ultrabook/laptop from my MDT, domain joined, pushing apps to it. Currently connected to a Lenovo X1 USB 3.0 dock, 2x24" monitors, keyboard, mouse, and it works better then expected.

ElitePad 900 better suited for enterprise deployment than the current Surface Pro specifically.  It would be pretty easy to make a task sequence that uses the 32-bit version of Windows 8 for the ElitePad with a small number of applications that are suitable to run on a low-powered tablet.  You don't have to convert everyone to 32-bit images.

The issue with Atom tablets is that they may not have the horsepower some users may need.  However, there are probably many users who are working mostly in the cloud through Terminal Services,  IE and Outlook and don't need a high-powered CPU out of the office.

Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:21 PM
  • fyi... looks like Microsoft has now released a "driver pack".  I posted it on my blog, but here's the direct link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/7/2073C22F-2F31-4F4A-8059-E54C91C564A9/April2013SurfacePro.zip

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Your link and the other link in the blog are deep linking directly to the zip file.

I'm trying to find the files directly on the Microsoft site so I can see their write-up/release notes on it.

What web page are these files from?

Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:08 PM
  • I looked and never found it either, all I was given was the deep link.  I'll post it as soon as I get more info.

Friday, May 03, 2013 4:14 AM
  • I looked and never found it either, all I was given was the deep link.  I'll post it as soon as I get more info.

The driver files are useful to have available,.  At least it's something, but this is all very strange again.  Secret file download link pops up out of nowhere with no explanatory web page associated with it.

Posted as a Zip file which is extremely unusual for Microsoft.  I don't think I have ever downloaded anything in Zip format from the Microsoft in the past.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 6:30 AM
  • Great to know! I really liked that the firmware drivers was included, since I have had some trouble having them install properly from Windows Update.
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 11:37 AM
  • Use the Microsoft USB Ethernet adaptor (model 1552: PXE friendly) and the latest Surface Pro firmware (also PXE friendly) and WDS works fine. Hold the volume down, tap the power button, and keep holding the volume down until the WDS option menu appears. 
    Friday, May 10, 2013 12:01 AM
  • Use the Microsoft USB Ethernet adaptor (model 1552: PXE friendly) and the latest Surface Pro firmware (also PXE friendly) and WDS works fine. Hold the volume down, tap the power button, and keep holding the volume down until the WDS option menu appears. 

Amazing that it looks like they finally have done as much as expected regarding mass deployment of the Surface Pro (assuming it all works)!

Do you need both a USB keyboard and USB Ethernet dongle attached at the same time to do Lite touch deployment through MDT or does it work with the touch screen or attached keyboard cover?

Friday, May 10, 2013 12:54 AM
  • How do you go about installing the firmware update?   I've downloaded the driver/firmware pack from MS site and placed extracted folder on usb drive.  However, The firmware appears to be in a .CAP file type.  I've never come across these before and nothing occurs when I open the file except the surface pro tries to open as an image.

any help is appreciated.

Thank You

Friday, May 10, 2013 8:14 PM
  • How do you go about installing the firmware update?   I've downloaded the driver/firmware pack from MS site and placed extracted folder on usb drive.  However, The firmware appears to be in a .CAP file type.  I've never come across these before and nothing occurs when I open the file except the surface pro tries to open as an image.

any help is appreciated.

Thank You

There is a PDF with instructions called "Surface Pro - Enterprise Deployment Quick Start Guide.pdf".

It looks like you have to use their sample Powershell script to install the firmware.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:44 AM
  • I cannot find where to purchase the 1552 adapter.  Do you have a link?

Friday, May 24, 2013 3:36 PM
  • For those still tracking this thread, the source link (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826) has been updated with drivers for June 2013.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 5:32 PM

You could probably do like this.

- Install Win 8 Enterprise (or pro) bare minimum - only Marvell AVASTAR 350N wifi drivers and the drivers for the USB to Ethernet Dongel you need.

- Deploy your OS to the Surface Pro - once it has finished, start up your WiFi  - go to manage your hardware - update your drivers for each of the missing hardware that shows up (remember to show hidden devices) - peekaboo, and you have all drivers from microsofts update catalog.

check your c:\windows\system32\driverstore for the when the new driver folders was created in the store, copy them - use them in your deploymentscenario to get them installed as you would normally do it.

Victory. Taking the inf files from the driverstore and adding to MDT is working for me. Thanks. 
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 8:45 PM
  • What version of Windows must you use for creating the Image? 
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:32 PM
  • Give it up. It can't be done.
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:26 PM
  • I am writing this message on my Surface Pro (TechEd 2013 edition), that was installed using MDT with a Windows 8.1 image.

Drivers were downloaded from Microsoft directly: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:09 AM