none
power pivot refresh

Question

• is there any way that power pivot data and the pivot tables linked with power pivot data refresh automatically on workbook open in excel 2010.

I want to schedule the report that opens in specific time and refreshes the power picot data that is linked with 2 sql databases

and thereafter refreshes the pivots.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:16 AM

Answers

• To refresh the data when the Excel file is opened:  On the Data ribbon, go to Existing Connections.  Select the applicable connection and Open.  Choose Properties at the bottom left.  Check the box that says "Refresh data when opening the file."  Having this checked is not the default.

If you are able to utilize Power Pivot for SharePoint, or Power BI in Office 365 when it is out of preview mode, you will be able to schedule data refreshes to the Power Pivot model using built-in functionality.

Sunday, September 01, 2013 1:04 AM

All replies

• As far as I know there's no out of the box support for automatically refreshing data when you use Power Pivot for Excel. It's a Power Pivot for SharePoint feature.

But I had read a codeplex project that let's you schedule data refresh. I have not used it. So I am not recommending it. But just pointing you to it, please see it it helps you in what you're trying to achieve: https://excelrefresher.codeplex.com/

[EDIT]:

I missed the word OPEN in the question. As Melissa pointed out, There is an option to automatic data refresh when files OPEN.

Paras Doshi (Blog: ParasDoshi.com | Twitter: @Paras_Doshi )

Thursday, August 29, 2013 11:59 AM
  • It will only work with Excel 2010 32-bit and under five tables facts and schedules do not work
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:55 PM
  • To refresh the data when the Excel file is opened:  On the Data ribbon, go to Existing Connections.  Select the applicable connection and Open.  Choose Properties at the bottom left.  Check the box that says "Refresh data when opening the file."  Having this checked is not the default.

If you are able to utilize Power Pivot for SharePoint, or Power BI in Office 365 when it is out of preview mode, you will be able to schedule data refreshes to the Power Pivot model using built-in functionality.

Sunday, September 01, 2013 1:04 AM