none
"lsass.exe - Application Error"

Question

• The following is the error message I receive, verbatim, when I attempt to boot:

(I am unable to duplicate the surrounding box, the error symbol [white 'X' in red circle] or the button boxes. Brackets are mine.)

(start of message){lsass.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x77ed6082" referenced memory at "0x77e71378". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program

[OK] [Cancel]}(end of message)

• Choosing [OK] changes "0x77e71378" to "0x00000015".
    • Choosing [OK] again goes to black screen with a movable mouse cursor.
    • Choosing [Cancel] does the same, but there is a pause and an hourglass 'wait' symbol for a few seconds after each choice.
    • Debugging did not resolve the problem.

I left my machine running for several hours on the black screen. Eventually, the 'Starting Windows XP' screen appeared, but another two-day wait didn't go past that screen.

I installed another iteration of XP in a 'Windows2'-named file, hoping to use it to repair/replace/recover corrupted files. I had no network or internet connectivity, so I was unable to register it in the allotted 31 days. It will not boot now, and it says it is missing the '...system/config' file.

A third XP install will not complete. The set-up stalls before 'finalizing'.

I don't want to lose my files and programs (which are still there - some of which are irreplacable); otherwise, I'd reformat and re-install from scratch.

Is there a fix for this specific problem without surgery?

If not, I plan to disconnect this hard drive, install another hard drive, install a new XP OS, reconnect this drive, and transfer the usable stuff (after a thorough malware scan). Any reason that won't work?

Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:03 AM

Answers

• Checked this?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/lsassexe-application-error-the-application-failed/d1be89f4-b841-43db-801b-fe1b6a35b5e2

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:35 AM

All replies

• Checked this?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/lsassexe-application-error-the-application-failed/d1be89f4-b841-43db-801b-fe1b6a35b5e2

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:35 AM
  • As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:34 AM