none
Remote access to performance, managment, and shares is blocked (w/firewall disabled).

Question

• I am having a strange problem that originally started with me not being able to access any shares on a server (call it "05") from a remote system.  Using UNC, I can access the shares from the 05 server itself.  While trying to work my way through this problem, I noticed that trying to monitor performance counters from a remote server failed as well with  "server is unavailable".  I then tried to use Computer Management remotely and that failed as well.  Everything else about 05 seems to work correctly.  It is the 5th (out of 6) Servers, running 2012R2 as Hyper-V hosts.  Windows Firewall is disabled for all network types.  All servers are on the same network segment so no routers or firewalls are involved either.  The event logs don't list any issues either, that I haven't addressed in my troubleshooting of this problem.

SCVMM 2012R2 didn't seem to have any issues with managing this server, either, until I tried to do an agent update.  Then the share issue reared its ugly head because the managing server could not access the admin share.

I am just confused as to where to look next.

Thursday, April 03, 2014 8:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

Administrators of remote access solutions require the ability to monitor not only which users are connected, but also which resources they are accessing. If users complain that a particular server or file share is inaccessible while remote, the administrator currently has no way to determine if other users are successfully accessing the resource from the remote access console. Multiple tools and applications are typically needed to troubleshoot issues such as particular users consuming excessive bandwidth.

Please check this article for more information.
    Remote Access (DirectAccess, Routing and Remote Access) Overview
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831416.aspx

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
    Dharmesh
    Tuesday, April 08, 2014 2:23 AM
  • Update-

The answer was of course the most simplest of things.  This is not part of any default builds, but somehow, the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" was unchecked on the network adapter.

• Marked as answer by Heath S. _ Friday, April 25, 2014 3:16 PM
    Friday, April 25, 2014 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

Administrators of remote access solutions require the ability to monitor not only which users are connected, but also which resources they are accessing. If users complain that a particular server or file share is inaccessible while remote, the administrator currently has no way to determine if other users are successfully accessing the resource from the remote access console. Multiple tools and applications are typically needed to troubleshoot issues such as particular users consuming excessive bandwidth.

Please check this article for more information.
    Remote Access (DirectAccess, Routing and Remote Access) Overview
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831416.aspx

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
    Dharmesh
    Tuesday, April 08, 2014 2:23 AM
  • Update-

The answer was of course the most simplest of things.  This is not part of any default builds, but somehow, the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" was unchecked on the network adapter.

• Marked as answer by Heath S. _ Friday, April 25, 2014 3:16 PM
    Friday, April 25, 2014 3:16 PM