none
Time Synchronization Issues in Domain

Question

• We are having issues with Time synchronization in our environment.  We have a cluster which houses 6 VM servers and we also have 4 physical servers.  We only have one DC acting as the PDC.  Our domain is flat, no sub-domains are present.  The VM servers are using the VM IC Time Synchronization Provider.  So after doing some research I found the following steps to temporarily disable this service, and point to our PDC for time sync:

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\VMICTimeProvider /v Enabled /t reg_dword /d 0

w32tm /config /syncfromflags:DOMHIER /update

net stop w32time & net start w32time

w32tm /resync /force

For most of our VM’s, this worked perfectly.  When I do a w32tm /query /source, our PDC is shown.  However, there are some VM’s that keep reverting back to the VM IC Time Synchronization Provider after a few minutes. 

In regards to our physical servers, they are pointing to our PDC as expected.  However, the time is off by 15 seconds.  If I issue the following command:  Net time \\PDCServer /set /y …the time will sync perfectly.  But several minutes later, the time will go off by 15 seconds again. Please note, this only occurs on 2 servers.  All others (including clients that are joined to the domain) are displaying the correct time.  

I made sure the following registry setting was set to NT5DS on all machines:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters

Any thoughts, suggestions on getting my servers to properly sync

Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:40 PM

Answers

All replies