none
Do I have to format this unformatted external hard drive now?

Question

• Hello, everyone! It seems that many people have the same problem: I have a WD external hard drive that has been used to save all my school files. However, I dropped it yesterday. Now, every time I try to read it on my computer, it would give a error message saying: “The disk is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?” Is it completely corrupted? Is it possible for me to get back all my school files there? Do I have to format it right now? Help me, please!

Monday, August 26, 2013 3:40 AM

Answers

• As I know, the dropped drive problem could be easy or difficult.

If your hard drive is only logically damaged, it is still possible for you to fix its problem by reformatting and the inner contained data also could be restored with the help of data recovery software.

But, if your drive is physically damaged, I am sorry, it is often really difficult to save both of this drive and inner held data.

So, I hope you are lucky enough and only get a logically damaged drive.

So, in your case, firstly restore your schools files back and then format this drive to see whether it is workable.

Try to use some drive data recovery freeware that work efficiently, such as Recuva, Power Data Recovery and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

Otherwise, you have to consult an expert. That will also cost a lot.

Note: I hope you could learn a lesson to back up everything important on different drives, not only on one drive.

• Marked as answer by Betlarry5 Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:30 AM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:11 AM

All replies

• More than likely the disk drive internals are somehow damaged. I doubt it will format or that this would work anyway. Even if it did I would not trust it for reliability.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:04 AM

If your hard drive is only logically damaged, it is still possible for you to fix its problem by reformatting and the inner contained data also could be restored with the help of data recovery software.

But, if your drive is physically damaged, I am sorry, it is often really difficult to save both of this drive and inner held data.

So, in your case, firstly restore your schools files back and then format this drive to see whether it is workable.

Try to use some drive data recovery freeware that work efficiently, such as Recuva, Power Data Recovery and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

Note: I hope you could learn a lesson to back up everything important on different drives, not only on one drive.

• Marked as answer by Betlarry5 Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:30 AM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:11 AM

OK! It seems that my hard drive is only logically damaged. After reading your answer, I have followed your advice: try your mentioned data recovery freeware and format this drive latter. They are all great! All my wanted school files are restored back successfully. This hard drive is also fixed after the formatting process.

Thank you very much!!!!!

Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:35 AM