none
SBS2008 won't give login screen after uninstalling Exchange. Finishing migration to SBS2011

Question

• I'm trying to finish my migration to SBS2011 from SBS2008. I uninstalled Exchange 2007 and rebooted the server, but it is stuck at the dreaded "Applying Computer Settings" screen. I've tried to boot to last known good config, but it still gets hung. I've tried to boot to safe mode, but when I login with the admin user, it immediately reboots. 

When it's hung at the applying computer settings screen, I can ping it from the SBS2011 server, But can't RDP to it. I can browse the disks too with \\sbs2008\c$  

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 3:28 PM

Answers

• I finally got a login screen and was able to login. Then I found the issue. The problem was Exchange apparently didn't uninstall correctly. It removed all the roles, but apparently didn't remove the services. It was sitting there trying to start the system attendant and information store, for instances that no longer existed. I had 205mb of ram free b/c of this. Which is what took so long to get a login screen apparently. Ran taskkill /f on the PID for the exchange services and my server was back to normal. I was able to successfully dcpromo the server down and now I guess I'm going to be doing some ADSIedit to remove the Exchange parts from AD. Thanks for the help guys. 
    • Marked as answer by abrrymnvette Friday, May 04, 2012 11:54 AM
    Friday, May 04, 2012 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hi, have you unchecked IPv6 on the SBS2011 server?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/02/18/small-business-server-2011-slow-to-boot-and-several-services-fail-to-start.aspx

Sean Zhu

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:04 AM
  • The IPv6 is checked. About a year ago I started having this issue and that's the first thing I did was make sure it was checked, which it wasn't at the time. The previous tech had unchecked it b/c he didn't understand IPv6. So, it's been checked for about a year now with an address assigned to it. 
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 11:57 AM
  • How long have you left it at Applying Computer Settings?

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2011) | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk

Thursday, May 03, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Going on 41 hours right now. 
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Id say that was long enough then..

Able to access the event logs by using Event Viewer on another machine?

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2011) | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk

Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:19 PM
  • No, I can't connect to the logs remotely. Get the error about IIS or WMI not running. 
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 4:19 PM
  • SBS 08 - removing exchange, rebooted, server dead. 

I'd unplug it and toss it out the window, and manually remove the DC from Active Directory. 

Then I would go have coffee. 

http://www.petri.co.il/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm

Jeremy

Thursday, May 03, 2012 11:03 PM
  • I finally got a login screen and was able to login. Then I found the issue. The problem was Exchange apparently didn't uninstall correctly. It removed all the roles, but apparently didn't remove the services. It was sitting there trying to start the system attendant and information store, for instances that no longer existed. I had 205mb of ram free b/c of this. Which is what took so long to get a login screen apparently. Ran taskkill /f on the PID for the exchange services and my server was back to normal. I was able to successfully dcpromo the server down and now I guess I'm going to be doing some ADSIedit to remove the Exchange parts from AD. Thanks for the help guys. 
    • Marked as answer by abrrymnvette Friday, May 04, 2012 11:54 AM
    Friday, May 04, 2012 11:54 AM