none
Opening Office 2010 documents on MOSS 2007 with FBA will render login page embedded

Question

• We have an external facing FBA site which works very well, except for the fact that when we open an Office 2010 document, the client (wheather is Powerpoint, Excel, or Word)  will open and the FBA login "page" will display as if it was part of the document. It won't allow us to enter credentials and the actual document will never open.

• We have Client Integration set to 'Yes' at the Authentication providers page in CA.
    • Document library / Advanced settings - Open in the client application (true).

I've heard about this KB fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960499/ but I'm not sure if it applies to my case since we have recently upgraded to SP3.

Can you please help us to resolve this issue? I haven't found any similar posts in the forum yet.

Farm configuration:

MOSS 2007 - SP3

1 app server, 2 WFE servers, 1 SQL server (clustered)

typical client OS: Windows 7 / IE 8.

Microsoft Office 2010.

Friday, January 06, 2012 2:51 PM

Answers

• As a workaround I set the Authentication provider's 'Client Integration' setting in CA to 'No' for the required FBA web app zone.

This killed the odd behavior and we can access Office documents as usual. This is not as desired, though, since we initially set Client Integration to 'Yes' in order to have available the Document library menu items under 'Actions', such as Edit in Datasheet or Export to Spreadsheet. These items are gone now.

• Marked as answer by _Rob_S_ Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:53 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:22 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This is a quick note to let you know that we are performing research on this issue.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:33 AM
  • As a workaround I set the Authentication provider's 'Client Integration' setting in CA to 'No' for the required FBA web app zone.

This killed the odd behavior and we can access Office documents as usual. This is not as desired, though, since we initially set Client Integration to 'Yes' in order to have available the Document library menu items under 'Actions', such as Edit in Datasheet or Export to Spreadsheet. These items are gone now.

• Marked as answer by _Rob_S_ Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:53 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:22 PM
  • When Office SharePoint Server 2007 and Microsoft Office 2007 were first released, the Office client applications such as Microsoft Office Word and Microsoft Office Excel could not directly open a document from a site that was secured with forms authentication. This is because, a 302 HTTP response code is sent back to the client when it tries to open an item in a site using forms authentication. The Office clients were not able to respond to a 302 response code, and as a result would display the actual forms logon page in the application, instead of the requested document.

On  MOSS 2007 SP3, you should not be seeing the issue of prompting credentials, as the hotifx http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960499/, should be covered in moss 2007 SP3.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Shruti-MSFT Monday, January 16, 2012 10:34 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:02 PM