none
Building an Enterprise App-V Infrastructure

Question

• We have just finished building a test App-V 5.0 Infrastructure server using the Microsoft Trial guide.  This works very well for our physical and virtual devices.

Now I have started looking at how I would build an enterprise App-V 5.0 infrastructure for my organisation, whilst I can find App-V 4.6 guides there still doesn't appear to be anything really useful for App-V 5.0.  After searching these forums I have found several posts but none of them appear to give clear guidance on sizing requirements in the enterprise.

We have 2 large campus networks each with up to 5000 end-user devices with good network links, whilst I know local configurations etc may mean I need more or less servers but am I in the right ballpark in creating

2 x Management servers ( 1 per site )
    1 x SQL server ( maybe with a shadow SQL? )
    4 x Publishing Servers ( 2 per site )
    1 x Content store ( DFS across a number of servers )

Help and guidance would be greatly appreciated

WN

Thursday, July 04, 2013 2:33 PM

Answers

• You'll need to take care with the number of concurrent sessions from non-persistent virtual desktops, depending on how you're handling the cache for those desktops. use Shared Content Store and ensure storage performance can support the number of concurrent sessions you're expecting. 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2013/05/29/introducing-shared-content-store-in-app-v-5-0.aspx

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:53 PM

All replies

• One Management Server per site creates a point of failure if you loose that Management Server. What will be your recovery method?

What are you going to use for load-balancing? I'd recommend something like NetScaler / F5 etc.

How big is the content store? What's the average package size?

Are those desktops physical or virtual? If virtual, are they persistent or non-persistent?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:29 PM
  • thanks for the reply

I will try to answer your questions 

I am planning to put our management servers in our VMWare farms, and take regular snapshots, and restore them if required.  Shouldn't take too long

We are looking at F5s and hopefully they can be bought soon. 

I think the largest package will be around 500mb or so.  As for the store we can throw as much storage as is required. 

Long term our estate will be a mix of thick and non-persistent VDI.  Using our test App-V server we have delivered apps to our production VDI world and it appears to be ok.  

hope that is enough information?

Thursday, July 04, 2013 5:46 PM
  • You'll need to take care with the number of concurrent sessions from non-persistent virtual desktops, depending on how you're handling the cache for those desktops. use Shared Content Store and ensure storage performance can support the number of concurrent sessions you're expecting. 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2013/05/29/introducing-shared-content-store-in-app-v-5-0.aspx

Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:53 PM
  • thanks for the link for the SCS.

I forgot to add a Reporting server, but I am guessing this can live on one of the management points?

Friday, July 05, 2013 7:15 AM
  • Hello,

Yes, it can.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:55 PM
  • thanks Nicke
    Monday, July 08, 2013 5:23 PM