none
MDT 2010 - Post deployment can't continue for some reason

Question

• Environnement: Windows Server 2008 R2 + MDT 2010 + Win7x64 Pro

Dear guys,

I hope you'll be able to help me.

Through a Task Sequence, I installed the Windows Enterprise and some software then I captured to a new xxxx.wim.

I imported the new WIM and created a new Task Sequence to deploy this new WIM.

When I deploy the new WIM, in the first Windows Boot, it should enter the machine into the domain, finalize the MDT deployment task sequence etc... instead of that, for some reason it can't log on automatically with the Built-in Administrator account. I have no idea why.

If I check Unattend.xml file, under point 7 oobeSystem, amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral, I have the good informations by default.

Do you know why it can't get into Windows automatically in order to finalize the process please ?

Thursday, March 21, 2013 10:48 AM

Answers

• I generated a new image with IE9 instead of IE10 and it works well, I deploy it without any error message.
    • Marked as answer by AcetiK Monday, March 25, 2013 2:09 PM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have a GPO that could change login settings such as remove autologon, change admin password...

You may try in a first time to remove the domain junction in your TS to see if it is a GPO related issue. If this is the case set a join domain step at the end of the TS.

• Marked as answer by AcetiK Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by AcetiK Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:43 AM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:26 AM
  • That's a good point, I'm exploring that field.
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:44 AM
  • A question:

why when generating a new Task Sequence with an administrator password, like "toto",  the password is in plain text in the Unattend.xml as "toto" and when I edit and save this field under the Windows SIM, the password becomes encrypted?

Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:01 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have a GPO that could change login settings such as remove autologon, change admin password...

You may try in a first time to remove the domain junction in your TS to see if it is a GPO related issue. If this is the case set a join domain step at the end of the TS.

OK I have some news.

I tried to deploy two TS, one I from last year and it works like a charm: autologin works, etc.. the other I generated yesterday even in WORKGROUP stopped at the first windows login. So no GPO issue.

Another idea?

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:02 PM
  • This is a part from the Unattend.xml file in C:\MININT

<settings pass="oobeSystem">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State">
    <UserAccounts>
    <AdministratorPassword>
    <Value>RQBjADAAbABfADEAVAA9AEEAZABtAGkAbgBpAHMAdAByAGEAdABvAHIAUABhAHMAcwB3AG8AcgBkAA==</Value>
    <PlainText>false</PlainText>
    </AdministratorPassword>
    <LocalAccounts>
    <LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
    <Description>Temp account</Description>
    <DisplayName>Temp account</DisplayName>
    <Group>Users</Group>
    <Name>TempAccount</Name>
    </LocalAccount>
    </LocalAccounts>
    </UserAccounts>
    <AutoLogon>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Username>Administrator</Username>
    <Domain>.</Domain>
    <Password>
    <Value>RQBjADAASDFLKSDF4EAcwBzAHcAbwByAGQA</Value>
    <PlainText>false</PlainText>
    </Password>
    <LogonCount>999</LogonCount>
    </AutoLogon>

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:07 PM
  • For password encryption in the unattend file everything is explained here :http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799269(v=ws.10).aspx

For your issue, try to decrypt the password and set it to another value.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:15 PM
  • I already tried with uncrypted password, actually, when you create the first time the TS, the password comes in PlainText. I tested to deploy this WIM and the first Windows logon attempt stuck.
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:31 PM
  • I have some news.

Look at these scenarios:

TaskSequence 1 --> deploy WIM 1 without any problem

TaskSequence 2 --> deploy WIM 2 but stuck at first windows login

I've tried this so far:

TaskSequence 2 --> deploy WIM 1 without any problem

I've tried to use the TS 1 to deploy the WIM 2 by changing the WIM file in the Unattend.XML of the TS 1 but it still deploy the WIM 1 and I don't know why.

• Edited by AcetiK Friday, March 22, 2013 7:24 AM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 7:24 AM
  • How did you captured WIM 2 ?

You have made a sysprep manually ?

You might have an unattend.xml somewhere in your WIM2 that interfere with the one that MDT creates. You should mount your WIM 2 and search for an unattend file Inside it.

Friday, March 22, 2013 9:12 AM
  • When I choose the TS to deploy my standard image, I also choose to capture the image so I don't use any sysprep manually.

Then inside this process, I also choose the software I want to install in this image.

I tried to do the same but with less software and it works. So I guess, there is/are some software that make conflits but I don't understand how that can happen. How the fact of installing some software can make conflitcs in MDT deployment?

Friday, March 22, 2013 12:38 PM
  • It depends, I guess that an appli related to security (such as a SSO client) might have some impact on logon process.

I can't tell you better than to identify the app that cause the issue by adding software one by one in your TS and seeing when it fails.

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:06 PM
  • Hi There,

I had similar issue but these lines fixed my issue. Hope this may help you also.

Please try this script lines .Try to add these in the CustomSettings.ini --> update deployment share.

SkipAdminPassword=YES
    AdminPassword=local client comp pswd
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    JoinDomain= FQDN
    DomainAdmin=domain admin id
    DomainAdminDomain=domain name 
    DomainAdminPassword=xxxx
    DomainErrorRecovery=MANUAL

Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:17 AM
  • Thanks to mponsot and Ram Kudva for your help.

After many tests, yes many many, I found the software that makes problem: Internet Explorer 10 that I build through the IEAK10.

If I deploy Windows 7 and install IE10 with the MSI created through IEAK10 and capture and redeploy this new image, the problem persist.

I'm now wondering what's the problem with IE10 and how can I fix this issue.

I've also tested to deploy this image containing IE10 with the changes in CustomSettings.ini suggested by Ram but I have the same problem. I've just passed away the DomainStuff as I try first in Workgroup. So I just added these lines:

SkipAdminPassword=YES
    AdminPassword=local client comp pswd

changing the "local client comp pswd" by the good password.

Monday, March 25, 2013 10:38 AM
  • I found this post:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdt/thread/c8802f88-41d0-4600-b657-6dad1ab69c06

where JukeJoke says:

"I experienced some serious Problems with deploying IE10, like the known CloneTag Error, when creating a customized WIM. So i decided to "deploy" IE10 through Windows Update as long as MS hasn't done its homework..."

It seems there is a problem by deployment IE10 through MDT.

Monday, March 25, 2013 10:59 AM
  • I generated a new image with IE9 instead of IE10 and it works well, I deploy it without any error message.
    • Marked as answer by AcetiK Monday, March 25, 2013 2:09 PM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 2:09 PM