none
Putting Category Counts in a Tool Tip on a Line Chart -SQL Server 2008 R2

Question

• I have a line chart report that shows the total number of tickets processed each month. Within the same recordset is the data of who processed the ticket.  So I want to add in the ToolTip on the Datapoints the number of tickets processed  by each persion.  There are just a few people.

So the line chart will have a datapoint at 20, but Joe did 5 and Jim did 15. What expression would I put in the tooltip? I even added datavalues for the Names and hid the data on the chart.  I am just not sure how to reference or write the expression that says  joe has 5 and jim has 15 in the ToolTip.  Then I would want an "Other" with all Rogues not Jim or Joe.

Example of Data

Ticket #  DATE_REPORTED  ASSIGNEE_FULL_NAME
    1  2013-01-16 08:31:28.000  Joe
    2  2013-01-17 07:01:23.000  Jim
    3  2013-02-04 17:42:23.000   Jim
    4  2013-02-04 18:42:23.000   Bill

Thanks in advance.

DBA Developer

Monday, March 10, 2014 10:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul,

As per my understanding, if we want to display some detail information depend on one field, we should add a group on that filed ahead. In your scenario, we should add a Category group or Series group in the chart, then write an expression to display the detail information. While, if we additional add a group in the chart, the chart would showed with other manners. It will be different from the original chart. So, I think we cannot directly achieve the goal at the moment.

As a workaround, I suggest we can create another report to only display the detail information, then add a drill through action in the main report to jump to that report when we click the line. For more details, please refer to the following steps:

1. Drag a Line Chart on the design surface of the new report.
    2. Insert [Count(Ticket__)] in the Values pane.
    3. Insert the expression below as the Category Group Label expression and Group expression:
      =format(Fields!DATE_REPORTED.Value,"MM")
    4. Insert the expression below as the Series Group Label expression and Group expression:
      =iif(Fields!ASSIGNEE_FULL_NAME.Value="Joe",Fields!ASSIGNEE_FULL_NAME.Value,iif(Fields!ASSIGNEE_FULL_NAME.Value="Jim",Fields!ASSIGNEE_FULL_NAME.Value,"Others"))
    5. In the main report, right-click the line to open Series Properties dialog box.
    6. Click Action in the left pane, enable Go to Report, then specify the new report name in the drop-down report.

If we want to see the detail information, we can click the line in the main report, it navigates to the new report. Then we can click “Back to Parent Report” action to return to the main report.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Katherine Xiong

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:37 AM