High CPU usage in Windows 8 RP when system is IDLE

Question

• Hi,

I am having a Dell XPS laptop. Installed Windows 8 RP when it was released. Since few weeks back I am observing that the battery backup time is very less. I seem to be recharching the laptop more than using it actually. It is not even one year old, so I don't think battery is gone.. I am going to send it to service center anyway... but meanwhile I wanted to know if anyone else here has observed the same issue or not..

I ran the powercfg -energy command on CMD, it shows the error like this :

CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
    The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
    Average Utilization (%) 29.87

With Windows 8 CP, I was not having any such problem.. Is there any solution available for this? Is this because of Windows only? I have checked the Task Manager, there is no sudden CPU usage spike for any application.... 

thanks.

• Moved by Niki HanModerator Friday, August 10, 2012 8:00 AM (From:Windows 8 General)
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:12 AM

All replies

• Run an xperf trace. I wrote here how to do this:

system.exe uses 40 % cpu in win 8

Compress the trace as 7z or RAR and upload it to SkyDrive or dropbox and post a link here.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:47 AM
  • Run an xperf trace. I wrote here how to do this:

system.exe uses 40 % cpu in win 8

Compress the trace as 7z or RAR and upload it to SkyDrive or dropbox and post a link here.

Thanks for replying. The ADK toolkit is 4.2 GB in size? I have opted not to install the pre windows installment.. don't know if it is required or not.. on second thoughts, I think I will stop the download now and wait till I know what all things are required for this assessment process..  please let me whenever possible..

thanks

Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:48 PM
  • PowerCfg requires the system to be idle for at least 60 seconds during analysis. If the system is not idle during analysis, some active applications are logged as warnings or errors because of their high CPU utilization. That may be the cause.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:01 AM
  • PowerCfg requires the system to be idle for at least 60 seconds during analysis. If the system is not idle during analysis, some active applications are logged as warnings or errors because of their high CPU utilization. That may be the cause.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

I ran powercfg command after restarting the system and recharging it to 100% ... No applications were running, from my side at least..
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:15 AM
  • only select the WIndows Performance Toolkit with is 40MB to download. Uncheck all others!

Saturday, June 30, 2012 3:14 PM
  • only select the WIndows Performance Toolkit with is 40MB to download. Uncheck all others!

Thanks for replying. I have created the file as you said. I have shared it on skydrive ..  this is the link: 

http://sdrv.ms/MDx2RN

Monday, July 02, 2012 4:10 PM
  • 1st, the trace is too small. Capture at least 30s. 2nd, your trace doesn't show any high CPU usage. The CPU is idle for 97%.

Friday, July 06, 2012 8:44 AM
  • Okay, I ran it for 30 seconds. I still don't know what all parameters are there.. just copy pasted from what was given in the link where the command is mentioned.. This is the link for updated trace file:

http://sdrv.ms/LIUFop

Monday, July 09, 2012 12:39 PM
  • ok, the new trace indeed shows some CPU spikes:

Superfetch causes some spikes as well as Explorer.exe.

The yellow line is McAfee which causes the largest CPU Usage (mscan64a.dll and kernel32.dll!ReadProcessMemoryStub)

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:59 PM
  • Sorry, I did not check your answer. Does this result mean that the issue is caused from McAfee solely? If that is the case I can file it as a bug or remove it from my system, depending on the seriousness of the issue. I am not using my subscribed mcafee software, as it doesn't support windows 8 yet. and about kernel32.dll, is it a bug in windows 8?

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:56 AM
  • I would say McAfee i the cause. Try to update it to a Windows 8 compatible version.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:05 AM
  • I am using the McAfee beta edition. it is the only version compatible with windows 8. but that was the same before also.. I mean the trace was done using that version only.
    Friday, August 31, 2012 11:42 AM
  • Ask McAfee for a new beta.

Sunday, September 02, 2012 8:52 PM