none
Publishing a DB with different collation than the distribution DB

Question

• We have a server with one default collation, but a DB that needs to be published which has another collation.

When I configure Distribution, the db Distribution gets the system default collation. When I then try to make a publisher for this DB that runs another collation, the system whines about different collations. How can I publish a DB which has a different collation than the system and thus the distribution db?

Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as replication is concerned, published and subscribed tables must have the same collation for corresponding columns. Having different collations on the publisher and subscriber might result in failure to replicate transactions.

In your case, you need to re-configure the replication for the particular collation DB. When you create the subscription, please make sure you have created a database(for example, named "Dummy") in subscriber which have the same collation with the particular DB located in publisher. Then we can subscriber the article to the database "Dummy".

Thanks

Candy Zhou

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:38 AM