none
Help with storage space volumes and HYPER-V

Question

• Help please,

Using Windows 8 Pro Hyper-v I created a VM and installed Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. I had attached two disks to the WSE VM that I then setup as a storage space within WSE.  After a Windows 8 restart which crashed the WSE VM the two disks that I had attached to the WSE VM are now online to Windows 8 and I cannot get them offline to re-attach to the WSE VM. The WSE VM refuses to restart without them. In Disk Management it says they are both part of a Storage pool, but any attempt to take them offline is ignored.

How can I get out of this mess?

Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First I would like to know the exact steps you attach disk to VM.

As you created a storage pool with these 2 disks in VM, and these 2 disks are connected to host computer, after a reboot, the storage pool will be recognized (as storage pool will continue work when we move all disks to another Windows 8/2012 computer) on host computer (Windows 8).

Is there any virtual disk created on this storage pool? If so, offline all virtual disks and see if you could take the storage pool offline.

And actually as the host system is Windows 8, you should post to Windows 8 forum instead. 

Saturday, August 03, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

First I would like to know the exact steps you attach disk to VM.

As you created a storage pool with these 2 disks in VM, and these 2 disks are connected to host computer, after a reboot, the storage pool will be recognized (as storage pool will continue work when we move all disks to another Windows 8/2012 computer) on host computer (Windows 8).

Is there any virtual disk created on this storage pool? If so, offline all virtual disks and see if you could take the storage pool offline.

And actually as the host system is Windows 8, you should post to Windows 8 forum instead. 

Thanks for your reply.

Steps to attach disks. I took the disks offline to the Host - Windows 8 Pro - and then using Hyper-v Manager, I added them in the settings for the VM.

After reboot, in the host (Win 8) the disks show up as online and Storage pool in Disk Management. Any attempt there to take them offline is ignored. In Storage Spaces in host they show up as "Drives with an unrecognised configuration".

I did not create a Virtual Disk in this storage pool. There is a Storage Space. Is that what you mean?

I have posted to Windows 8 forum but had no response. I think this is a Hyper-v problem. I don't know if it happens using any other Hyper-v host such as Windows Server. It is reproducible. 

There are two problems. The first is the host picking up the disks as online after reboot even though they were offline to the host before. The second is not being able to take Storage Pool disks offline.

Hope you can help.

Dave

Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:19 PM