none
Where is the Default Domain policy and Default Domain controller policy located so i can backup it?

Question

• I want o backup Default Domain policy and Default Domain controller group policy but i don't know where is located.

Regard,

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:31 PM

Answers

• I want o backup Default Domain policy and Default Domain controller group policy but i don't know where is located.

Regard,

Thanks.

Hi

for backup you can use group policy management .

Back up a Group Policy object using GPMC

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

LinkedIn:   Facebook:   

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:52 PM
  • As a best practice, you should not really edit these two policies. If you are not editing them, you can always restore them by using DCGPOFix.

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: DeployHappiness. Subscribe by RSS or email. 

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Hi YahYa,

The link works at windows server 2008 and it didn't work at windows server 2003 because I don't have GPMC installed just the default GPO editor from there I can't seem to be able to backup the Default Domain policy and Default Domain controller group policy.

I want to backup Default Domain policy and Default Domain controller group policy  in windows server 2003 without install GPMC.

Regard,

Thanks.

Hi QuestionJunk

You didn'ttell in your question about OS and i didn't ask you :D

I suggest you read this thread

How can I export/import group policy objects OU links in Domain(w2k3)?

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Friday, July 26, 2013 1:10 AM

All replies

Regard,

Thanks.

Hi

for backup you can use group policy management .

Back up a Group Policy object using GPMC

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:52 PM
  • As a best practice, you should not really edit these two policies. If you are not editing them, you can always restore them by using DCGPOFix.

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: DeployHappiness. Subscribe by RSS or email. 

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Hi YahYa,

The link works at windows server 2008 and it didn't work at windows server 2003 because I don't have GPMC installed just the default GPO editor from there I can't seem to be able to backup the Default Domain policy and Default Domain controller group policy.

I want to backup Default Domain policy and Default Domain controller group policy  in windows server 2003 without install GPMC.

Regard,

Thanks.

• Edited by QuestionJunk Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:08 PM dsfrerewr
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Hi Joseph,

Yeah that's why I want to make a backup but don't know how to do it in windows server 2003  without install GPMC.

Regard,

Thanks.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:09 PM
  • Hi YahYa,

Regard,

Thanks.

Hi QuestionJunk

You didn'ttell in your question about OS and i didn't ask you :D

I suggest you read this thread

How can I export/import group policy objects OU links in Domain(w2k3)?

Friday, July 26, 2013 1:10 AM
  • Hi 

Run ---> gpmc.msc 

IS

Friday, July 26, 2013 1:41 AM
  • There is no need to backup both Default Policies!

RULE 1: NEVER TOUCH THE DEFAULT DOMAIN POLICY

RULE 2: IF YOU DO IT YOU WILL RUN IN HUGE TROUBLES

Why?

If you do some changes within the Default GPO and you have some troubles you will lost this settings. If you have any trouble with the default GPO's you can easy delete them and rebuild them with the command:

dcgpofix /target:both

Whenever I have a Training I'll brand my Students not to touch them.

If you ignore RULE1 it's not a big problem because you can do some settings or change this policy with ervery settings. BUT I'll promise to you there will be the day for pay back time if you do it. ;-)

In short word's - you don't need a Backup if you don't touch them. Keep them by default and this will solve a lot of troubles if you run ever within troubles.

Best regards!

Friday, July 26, 2013 9:09 AM