none
blank task manager (not headers)

General discussion

• Hi All,

I hope this is the correct forum to post in, this is my third try, both other times being told its not correct and post in "insert forum name" haha. I recently made a active directory domain for the computers at my home, for now just for having a network drive they can share and it was a learning experience for me and something i plan to play with. I have 3 computers on the domain, 2 of the 3 work just as expected. One of them has some issues. The one with problems shows a completely blank task manager. The tabs are on the top but they have no text in them and are tiny. The button at the bottom that says "end task" is also blank. One other thing that i dont know if its related, but my MS Access that was installed on a different profile, previous to the domain, but on the hard drive, wont load, gives a ton of pop ups about resources and then the computer locks up. Im guessing the two things are related. Ive tried to recreate the the profile, copying a profile that i know doesnt have problems and that still didnt work. I read something about corrupt profiles, could be AD profile be bad for this computer? Any ideas? I am including a pic of the task manager. I should also mention, the main profile, non-domain profile, works just fine, no issues with any of this, so its just on the domain profile.

Thanks All,

Sam

Monday, August 26, 2013 6:39 PM

All replies

• You can try a repair but I think I'd just rebuild it from scratch.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:52 AM
  • Hi Dave,

I dont think this is a computer problem that i would need to rebuild or repair. The local profile works just fine, its just this domain profile that doesnt work. All other programs works just fine too (firefox, kaspersky, ect), just not microsoft office or the task manager. I really think it must be something else.

Thanks,

Sam

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:58 AM
  • This sort of problem *sounds* like permission related problem but really is difficult to tell. It would only take an hour or so to rebuild it. As for ms office I wouldn't expect it to run correctly on a domain controller anyway.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:11 AM
  • Hello,

Create a new user profile and import everything from OLD one.

Also to diagnose,

Run a AV scan on you machine. Could be a virus issue also.

Run a system file checker scan on the machine to check and fix the corrupt files.

Devaraj G | Technical solution architect

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:43 AM
  • Hi Devaraj, I'm new to the active directory stuff, just teaching myself, except for what I'm learning here of course. How do I import everything from the old one? I had tried to copy the profile, which didn't work, which also makes since if you copy a corrupt profile its still going to be corrupt. So I tried to copy one of the admin profiles and change the login name since I want this computer to be an admin, and that gave the same results. Do you think it could be because the local profile and domain profile have the same user name? The same user name thing worked on one of the other computers though. I also wanna say its not a virus because the local profile on that computer had no issues. Wont be able to get on that computer until about 10 hours from now to test anything. Thanks All!

Thanks,

Sam

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Hello,

Have a look at this:

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/en-us

Devaraj G | Technical solution architect

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:57 AM
  • Hi Devaraj,

Thanks for the link. I should have been more specific when I mentioned copying other profiles, I copied the active directory profile, not the profiles files. I was guessing copying a corrupt AD profile would still give a corrupt AD profile haha

Thanks,

Sam

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:15 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, the problem is more related to the client issue. I suggest that you would post your question in Windows 7 ITPro forum. I believe we will get a better assistance there.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=w7itpro

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:15 PM