none
MDT 2012 Call deployment wizard from within Windows 7 OEM

Question

• I'm playing around with MDT with the intent of facilitating the rollout of new laptops.

As we turn on the new laptop for the first time we want to follow through with the standard windows 7 OEM installation that is built into the out-of--the box HP laptops.

Afterwards we just want to run a post os task sequence from the deployment share that presents the deployment wizard and prompts us for the exact same parameters as a new deployment

• Hostname
    • Domain Joining Credentials
    • OU
    • Local admins
    • Install applications list

Basically the task sequence should only join the domain, install apps without actually installing an operating system. We are using the Windows 7 OEM that comes with the laptop and run litetouch.vbs within windows.

I'm having issues calling the deployment wizard script in my post os task sequence. How exactly would I do that?

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi, first of all just so you know, deploying OEM operating systems is not supported if you are not a vendor (Like HP, Dell). Second of all, the things you want to configure:

• Hostname
    • Domain Join Credentials
    • OU
    • Local Admins
    • Application list

You have to break it up in two. Things you can automate right away, such as the local admins and application list, by creating a task sequence which just creates / renames local accounts by command line (google it, there is enough info to find about creating / modifying accounts by command line). And off course the application list, which is just a simple action / step in the MDT Task Sequence, add a step called "Install application" and specify which application to install, don't specify an application at all, and a entire list will be presented in the deployment wizard in the form of checkbox from where you can choose yourself which applications you want to install.

Then modifying hostname's, domain join credentials and OU's is a bit more complicated post OS. Because this information is embedded in the unattend.xml during the deployment of the operating system. So you have to work with some kind of custom scripts, that rename the hostname for you, add the machine to the domain and add them to the right OU.

If you are going to do bulk deployment's I would reconsider using the already installed OEM operating system, since these operating systems are bloated with all kinds of software you don't want on a system that is used for daily office operations.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:51 AM
  • If I understand correctly you don't want to deploy an OS, just configure what already exists. Post OS Installation task sequence is what you want to use. From within the running OS, launch the deployment wizard and select the task you created based on that template.

Oh and for the domain part of it, after "Post-Apply Cleanup" in your task sequence, click on Add-->Settings-->Recover from Domain. You can also add other custom tasks or scripts to the sequence to do as you see fit. You will of course need to add a script for changing (or manually change) the computer name before you join it to the domain.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:42 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Offcourse that's what he wants, if it was only so easy. Post OS computer renaming, domain join and OU move or placement isn't that easy, when all of these phases happen during OS deployment and certain information resides in the unattend.xml he has to figure out how this is done based on command lines and / or scripts.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:38 PM
  • I've used this Powershell script to quickly join a machine to a domain. It could be added as a custom task

$credential = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PsCredential("ACCOUNT WITH RIGHTS TO ADD MACHINES", (ConvertTo-SecureString "PASSWORD" -AsPlainText -Force))
    Add-Computer -DomainName "DOMAIN NAME GOES HERE" -Credential $credential -OUPath ("OU=PATH GOES HERE")

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:57 PM