none
Fax service stops every few days

Question

• Every few days or at most every couple of weeks, the fax service stops working. My client calls to report that no one is able to connect to the fax server using the MS Scan & Fax application. Simply logging into the server via RDP seems to solve the issue and restore the fax module to proper operation again. I would like to find what is causing the fax module to stop working and prvent this from happening.
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 3:49 PM

Answers

• Wow, I owe someone another dollar since you are using the Fax service on 2012.  

Let's try to figure this out.  If the application is failing (and crashes) you should see event 1000 in the Application event log stating Application Error with information on the faulting module as well as event 7031 in the System log from the Service Control Manager

If the service is just getting stopped you will see a Service Control Manager event 7036 in the System event log.

I noticed that the service is set to Manual start up on install.  I have no idea if that is the same as any other version of the operating system.

The Fax service depends on the Print Spooler service.  Check if the spooler service is failing due to RDP printer redirection and make sure you have all the print drivers running in Shared Isolation to minimize impact to the spooler service.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:08 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• What OS version is the server?

Are you performing email routing?

Check the Application event log for failures.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 8:23 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Is there any event when the fax service stops?

Please post here.

Regards.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Vivian Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 3:28 AM
  • Event ID 32018 — Fax Service Availability
    Applies To: Windows Server 2008
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736124(v=ws.10).aspx

This article describes the event IDs for the Microsoft Fax service. The event IDs are displayed in the application log in Event Viewer.
    APPLIES TO
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229827/en-us

Reddy

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:05 AM
  • I have checked the event logs and was not able to find any errors relating to faxing. As this is a newly installed server the event log is pretty clean.

This is Windows Server 2012 Standard x64

No not preforming any Email routing.

This is a new domain with 2 new servers both running new installs of Windows Server 2012. The first server is the AD server and file server. The 2nd server is an RDP server (only about 5 users) and a fax server.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Wow, I owe someone another dollar since you are using the Fax service on 2012.  

Let's try to figure this out.  If the application is failing (and crashes) you should see event 1000 in the Application event log stating Application Error with information on the faulting module as well as event 7031 in the System log from the Service Control Manager

If the service is just getting stopped you will see a Service Control Manager event 7036 in the System event log.

I noticed that the service is set to Manual start up on install.  I have no idea if that is the same as any other version of the operating system.

The Fax service depends on the Print Spooler service.  Check if the spooler service is failing due to RDP printer redirection and make sure you have all the print drivers running in Shared Isolation to minimize impact to the spooler service.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:08 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Vivian Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 07, 2013 1:41 AM
  • I have still been working this issue and discovered that the server running the fax service was set to autoupdate. I found an entry in the event log when the server was beeing automatically restarted. When the server restarts the fax service didn't auto restart. Even though the Fax Service Manager would show the red icon in the tool bar to stop the service. Stopping and restarting the service within the Fax Service Manager would then fix the problem. I have turned off automatic updates and set the fax service to have an auto startup in the Services, Admin Tools. I am hopeful that this will resolve the issue.
    Monday, October 14, 2013 4:26 PM