none
Single click folder name to expand folder in folder view?

Question

• As with prior versions, in [Windows] Explorer's main window, you can enable hovering to select and single clicking to expand the folder (but that is a pain in the rear when working with files). Windows XP folder view nicely allowed single clicking the folder name to expand the folder. Was that removed from Windows 7? Looks like the only way to expand a folder in folder view is to either click on the small plus sign or to double click on the folder name.  Or is there a switch somewhere I am missing? Thanks.
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 12:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that you are talking about the navigation pane (the left pane) in Windows Explorer. Is that correct?

The feature is not present since Windows Vista. When we click on the item, the sub windows will be displayed in the main pane (the right pane). In the navigate pane we can only click the plus button or double-click on the folder to open it.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In Windows 7 beta we could also set the option. Open Windows Explorer, press Alt on keyboard and choose Tools->Folder Options. Then, in the General tab select “Single-click to open an item…”.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:58 AM
  • I believe that what you are talking about is different and it makes dealing with files in the main window problematic. Anyway... the workaround is to use a double click button on the mouse, or to click on the plus sign in Folder View (Folder View is the left-hand part of a Windows Explorer window, as opposed to the main window that is on the right-hand side), and just cope with it. 
    Monday, March 16, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that you are talking about the navigation pane (the left pane) in Windows Explorer. Is that correct?

The feature is not present since Windows Vista. When we click on the item, the sub windows will be displayed in the main pane (the right pane). In the navigate pane we can only click the plus button or double-click on the folder to open it.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

In Windows 7 beta we could also set the option. Open Windows Explorer, press Alt on keyboard and choose Tools->Folder Options. Then, in the General tab select “Single-click to open an item…”.

Arthur Xie - MSFT

So, is the option removed in Win 7 RC?

I too miss the single-click to expand folders in the left pane (folder list).
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:10 AM
  • I too miss the single-click to expand folders in the left pane (folder list).
    Things are worse than that now... When you single click on a folder name in the folder list, the folder contents show in the right hand file window, as usual. But, when you use an arrow key to move to a folder name in the folder list, the folder contents no longer show in the right hand file window. I see no reason for eliminating that useful function. In Windows XP, I sometimes use the arrow keys to move up or down a list of folders in order to see the contents of those folders. If they were consumer driven, Microsoft could at least give us an option for those two things in Windows 7 Explorer... The ability to expand a folder with a single click on the folder name in the folder view. And the ability to show folder contents (in the right pane) when navigating using the up or down arrow keys in the folder view.

My Firefox browser plays better with Windows than Internet Explorer... Eventually, when I must move to Windows 7, I will probably need to use a third-party file manager too. Oh wail.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

Arthur Xie - MSFT

That is a different subject than what I was talking about... But, for what it's worth... I have started using that option in Windows Explorer right hand pane (for many months now). It is awkward, especially at first, but it does save some work when used skillfully. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:06 AM
  • i miss that feature too
    Monday, June 14, 2010 4:07 AM
  • "...Things are worse than that now... When you single click on a folder name in the folder list, the folder contents show in the right hand file window, as usual. But, when you use an arrow key to move to a folder name in the folder list, the folder contents no longer show in the right hand file window...."

The option  seems to be disabled. It is in Explorer>tools>folder options>navigation pane>"automatically expand to current folder" (win7 v6.1

Excluding this extremely useful feature really cripples Win7Explorer. I was spoiled by w9x and XP explorers. I am new to MS forums. Is there a moderated microsoft forum where this question can be posted, in the hope that a patch is produced?

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 12:50 AM
  • "...Things are worse than that now... When you single click on a folder name in the folder list, the folder contents show in the right hand file window, as usual. But, when you use an arrow key to move to a folder name in the folder list, the folder contents no longer show in the right hand file window...."

The option  seems to be disabled. It is in Explorer>tools>folder options>navigation pane>"automatically expand to current folder" (win7 v6.1

Excluding this extremely useful feature really cripples Win7Explorer. I was spoiled by w9x and XP explorers. I am new to MS forums. Is there a moderated microsoft forum where this question can be posted, in the hope that a patch is produced?

I asked this in 2007 and I was answered <<WE DON'T GIVE A SH*T OF WHAT YOU WANT>>

See here: http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/313066/explorer-should-expand-folder-tree-the-windows-xp-way

• Edited by costinel1 Friday, November 12, 2010 4:32 PM url edit
    Friday, November 12, 2010 4:19 PM
  • TO EVERYBODY WATCHING THIS TOPIC

Please open this address (http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195 ), select "enterprise" (maybe it gets more attention than other versions) and paste the following text:

"Please reconsider getting back the XP way of expanding folder tree, as described here:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/313066/explorer-should-expand-folder-tree-the-windows-xp-way

Thank you!"

Also anyone with a live id can sign in and vote for this issue here:

http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/313066/explorer-should-expand-folder-tree-the-windows-xp-way

And let's hope...!

Friday, November 12, 2010 4:46 PM
  • "The feature is not present since Windows Vista."

This is consistent with Microsoft's philosophy of adding unnecessary complexity to your work.  Some things never change.

Friday, January 20, 2012 10:01 PM
  • Bad feature, consistent with Microsoft's consistent behavior of adding unnecessary complexity to our work.

Why does Microsoft keep making things more complex?  I used to be able to easily do a search with Explorer; now I have to go through the "Search Companion".  COM was a nightmare!  No wonder Apple is increasing its market share!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Tools > Folder Options > General >  tick automatically expand to current folder

will do the trick for you

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:48 PM