none
Historical Stock Audit List

Question

• Hi all,

I am an ASP.NET developer who has been pulled into the Sharepoint world for a bit to create a simple 'daily stock audit' list on a Sharepoint 2010 site. I have almost no prior experience with Sharepoint, but it seems that being a developer in a Microsoft environment automatically means that I should understand every other Microsoft platform :P

Basically, we want to replicate the functionality of the existing manual spreadsheet, which had the list of items down the first column, and the dates across the top row, so the user would just go down the list and enter the current quantity beside each item. If today's value was different to yesterday's, conditional formatting would highlight the cell and the user would enter the notes into another column.

I just can't work out how to replicate this simplicity within Sharepoint. I've searched around on the internet and not found anything like what I'm trying to do, most of the different 'inventory list' examples I've found are based on the notion of entering the amount sold for example, and then updating the 'total stock' numbers, whereas this effectively needs to work in the opposite direction.

I have created a list of all of the items, and another list with a lookup column for the item against the first list and the quantity and date, but can't work out where to go from here.

Can anyone suggest how I can achieve this without resorting to just hosting an Excel spreadsheet?

Monday, October 21, 2013 11:20 PM

Answers

• Hello,

If i understand correctly, you want to color the column i data value is different then based on this update item. I would first create a list including date column and add all the items. Later open your list in sharepoint designer to put conditional formatting on date column.

Refer this link to put conditional formatting on any list column

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/balsharfi/archive/2013/02/21/10282249.aspx

Just try this and let us know your result

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:21 AM
  • In sharepoint, if you add items in list then you have datasheet view option, where you can open all items in datasheet view then apply sorting on any column to sort the items. Just create a custom list and add some items then go to your list and click "List" from ribbon. Now click on datasheet view to open all items in excel view.

We also have option in list to create calculate column so you can apply more calculation like excel within a list. This is very quickest way in SP to view/add/update value in list.

Just try this out and let me know in case any doubt.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:41 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If i understand correctly, you want to color the column i data value is different then based on this update item. I would first create a list including date column and add all the items. Later open your list in sharepoint designer to put conditional formatting on date column.

Refer this link to put conditional formatting on any list column

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/balsharfi/archive/2013/02/21/10282249.aspx

Just try this and let us know your result

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:21 AM
  • Thank you Hemendra for your response, however the conditional formatting part is simply a 'nice to have', the main issue I have is trying to replicate the 'historical' datasheet functionality that I have in Excel.

Ideally, I wish to have all of the items down the left hand side, and then multiple columns (for the last 5 days for example) beside that for the quantity in stock. Each day, the users can open the list/sheet and quickly/easily enter the quantity beside each item, and that will be recorded against today's date.

This is a quick example of the functionality/usability (in Excel) that I am attempting to replicate:

• Edited by SamShaw Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:43 AM Added example
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:28 AM
  • In sharepoint, if you add items in list then you have datasheet view option, where you can open all items in datasheet view then apply sorting on any column to sort the items. Just create a custom list and add some items then go to your list and click "List" from ribbon. Now click on datasheet view to open all items in excel view.

We also have option in list to create calculate column so you can apply more calculation like excel within a list. This is very quickest way in SP to view/add/update value in list.

Just try this out and let me know in case any doubt.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:41 AM