What does "Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks" do?

Question

• Hello,

1) Can someone please explain me what does this command: "Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks" do?

2) What is the replacement command for the command "Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks" in Windows 7 64Bit?

Thank you

Saturday, August 01, 2009 2:31 PM

All replies

• Evyatar G.,

1) From Microsoft's Windows Hardware Development Central (WHDC) - http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/benchmark.mspx#E3E

"Idle Task Scheduling: The ProcessIdleTask API

The file placement optimization, which is done no more often than once every three days, is an example of a task that is carried out when the system is deemed to be idle. System Restore and other features of Windows XP also attempt to defer some work until the system is deemed to be idle. There are also some done-once-after-setup work items that also operate under the Idle Task Scheduling mechanisms.

All of these "idle tasks" are controllable by a system API in advapi32.dll, ProcessIdleTasks. The APIs sole purpose is to allow benchmarks a simple way to force any pending idle tasks to be executed immediately, without having to wait a lengthy period of time.

The API ProcessIdleTasks can be called in one of two ways, from the command line or synchronously from a program. To call ProcessIdleTasks from the command line, use this syntax:

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

When called from the command line, the ProcessIdleTasks work is done in the background asynchronously. It can take 10 to 15 minutes for idle tasks to complete. Task Manager will report processes running, and the disk will likely be active during this time.

The ProcessIdleTasks API takes no arguments and returns a standard Win32 error code. The definition is:

DWORD
    ProcessIdleTasks()

The API itself is synchronous, so it wont return until the idle tasks have completed"

2) There may be a replacement command, but I cannot seem to find one. 

Josh

• Proposed as answer by dreamsburnred Friday, September 11, 2009 9:08 AM
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 12:37 PM
  • The windows 7 process is like vista in the way you need to execute it from the run dialog.

Brad - Visit my Blog (http://dreamsburnred.blogspot.com)
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:08 AM