none
Issue while using ActiveXObject in IE for determining ShockwaveFlash Plugin

Question

• Hi,

I have used ActiveXObject something like this "new ActiveXObject('ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash')". I assume that when I get an object as a result of this Flash Player is installed/enabled in the browser whereas if i get some error it is not installed or enabled in a browser. I'm getting an error when the flash player is not installed. But the issue is when I have an Flash Player and I disable it in IE by navigating as Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> Manage AddOns -> Disable Shockwave Flash Plugin I'm not sure how to find out whether the shockwave flash plugin is disabled by the user. I have an ActiveXObject in hand with type as ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash. But i need to know whether there is any methods in ActiveXObject to find whether the plugin is enabled or not. I found a method to find the version of the plugin as "new ActiveXObject('ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash').GetVariable("$Version")". Similarly is there any property to find the status (enabled /disabled) of the plugin. Thanks in advance.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:09 PM

All replies

• You want to be able to alter the settings of a visitors machine ?

Seems a bit Virus like to me ?

Monday, September 16, 2013 2:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I don't want to alter the settings of a visitor machine but I need to just  know whether the user is enabled/disabled. If the user has disabled flash plugin then the flash content won't load in browser so i'll show an appropriate error message in my application to the client. In all the other browsers i have this option through navigator.mimeTypes array (navigator.mimeTypes["application/x-shockwave-flash"].enabledPlugin) but since in IE plugins are handled as ActiveXObject i dont find any methods or way to get this info. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Note: The navigator.mimeTypes and navigator.plugins array is empty in IE. It seems IE keep those array empty purposefully.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:10 AM
  • See how Adobe does it,

This page will tell you if Flash is active which it can be disabled or not installed,

Getting passed UAC is not ever going to happen,

http://www.adobe.com/downloads.html

Java has the option to Click on (Do I Have Java) installed by having a separate link to click on,

http://www.java.com/en/

• Edited by ThrashZone Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:38 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Hi,

I tried to find out how adobe does flash detection in their website. I disabled my flash plugin in my chrome and tried to load the page, got the error message correctly but in IE when I did the same i'm just getting an empty box with a cross mark at top left corner. 

Monday, September 23, 2013 12:57 PM
  • Hi,

I tried loading the adobe page "http://www.adobe.com/downloads.html" as mentioned in the above post

Monday, September 23, 2013 12:58 PM