none
Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file

Question

• I have built a Windows 7 x64 machine using the MDT 2010 using the "standard client task sequence", and then captured it from the "sysprep and capture" sequence, and then deployed it using the Custom task sequence, using just the 'install operating system' task.

During the final WIM deploy phase, the install fails with :-

Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file [c:\minint\unattend.xml] The specified file does not exist

Is there something else I'm supposed to do to get a copy of unattend.xml into c:\minint?

Thanks,

Peter

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:32 PM

All replies

• I have built a Windows 7 x64 machine using the MDT 2010 using the "standard client task sequence", and then captured it from the "sysprep and capture" sequence, and then deployed it using the Custom task sequence, using just the 'install operating system' task.

During the final WIM deploy phase, the install fails with :-

Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file [c:\minint\unattend.xml] The specified file does not exist

Is there something else I'm supposed to do to get a copy of unattend.xml into c:\minint?

Thanks,

Peter

Did you import your custom .wim using the source files off of the Windows 7 installation disc? Even though you captured a ref image, you still need to import that custom .wim with the original Microsoft source files from the disc.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Peter,

Is there an 'unattend.xml' file in the "Control" folder for your TS within your Deployment Share?  I believe it is copied from there to the local MININT directory for processing.  You can also check the BDD.log file to see what happened.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:08 AM
  • Yes, there is an Unattend.xml in the Task Sequence Control folder and I have imported the full Windows-7 Enterprise CD into my MDT server, and can perform scripted builds from this environment. The problem comes when I try to turn a scripted reference PC build into a WIM image.

My build process has been as follows:

Setup MDT 2010, Import the Windows-7 CD, setup a build task sequence, add some apps such as Office 2010 etc. This works fine and will build PC's to my Windows 7 + core apps standard, either by PXEbooting the "Lite Touch Windows PE (x64)" image or by booting in XP and running the \\mdt2010\deploymentshare$\scripts\litetouch.vbs script

To attempt to create a fully-built Win7 image I use the MDT server described above and:

1/ PXE boot the reference PC using the Lite Touch WinPE o/s from Windows Deployment Services

2/ From the Lite Touch wizard, run a full MDT 2010 "standard client task sequence" build of Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit) to a reference PC, selecting the option to capture an image.

Since I took the option to capture an image, I now have a file \\mdt2010\deploymentshare$\capturesW7X64ENT.WIM

3/ In MDT, I now import the Custom Image File W7X64ENT.WIM created above, and create a Custom Task Sequence to deploy my new custom WIM. In the task sequence editor, I remove the 'Install Application" task and add an "Install Operating System" task and browse to the Custom WIM file imported earlier. I also add a task to Format and Partition the disks before applying the WIM.

4/ I now PXE boot WinPE (or boot from WinPE CD) my target PC that I wish to deploy Win7 toward. I click "run the deployment Wizard" and select my Custom task sequence that will apply my Custom WIM image. The Wizard partitions the disk, then says "Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file [c:\minint\unattend.xml] The specified file does not exist"

I'm baffled....

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:53 PM
  • I am having the same problem.

I believe the issue is actually one of permissions on your unattend.xml file.

Even if you are logged in to your master image machine as local admin, when you copy unattend.xml into c:\windows\system32\sysprep it will appear in your file browser, but when I try to right click on it and edit it the OS complains that it does not exist.

I am not sure how to repair the permisions on the file as the checkboxes are greyed out even though I am local admin.

Try copying the unattend.xml to a directory hanging off of C:\answerfile\unattend.xml

OR

Create a new text file in the sysprep folder maybe named createdinplace.xml. Open your original unattend.xml file in a text editor, copy out all of the xml content and paste it into your createdinplace.xml file. 

then point sysprep to the newly created files

The second method worked for me just now!

- Ed -

Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:29 PM