none
32 bit ODBC driver for MS Access 2010 (*.accdb) is missing in Win7 64bit

Question

• I have Win7 and Office 2010 both 64 bit. I also have a 32 bit application running where I need a 32 bit *.accdb  (MS Access) ODBC driver. Using the 64-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe is returning “The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application”. So I need a 32 bit ODBC *.accdb driver for my application.

My problem:

When I open c:\windows\SysWOW64\odbcsys32.exe and try to ADD a new dsn there is only a *.mdb driver available for MS Access. Does anyone know how to add a 32 bit MS Access *.accdb driver to c:\windows\SysWOW64\odbcsys32.exe? Maybe I missed something obvious but this is giving me headache after browsing through the Internet for a solution. 

Thanks

Monday, May 30, 2011 11:52 PM

Answers

• Carl, I just figured out a solution... If you are running a 64-bit Computer and Running Access 2010, you will first need to download the AccessDatabaseEngine.exe from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=7554F536-8C28-4598-9B72-EF94E038C891&displaylang=en

After the download finishes, and installs, You will need to create an ODBC connection. Instead of creating an ODBC connection through your Administrative Tools, Data Sources (ODBC) interface, you will need to run the 64-bit instance of Data Sources (ODBC). To do this, you will need to click your "Windows" + "R" buttons on the keyboard, and then paste "c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe" -- without quotes into the dialog. Then create the connection to the database as you would on a 32 bit machine.

I had the same issues with the *.accdb not showing up in my 64 bit ODBC connections. It then showed up after performing the above steps.

Hope this Helps,

Alex Mahrou

Friday, June 10, 2011 3:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems to be more of ODBC drivers configuration, I recommend you to post in MSDN forum so as to get the specific resource.

Meanwhile, I would like to share the following article with you:

Managing Data Sources

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 8:01 AM
  • Carl, I just figured out a solution... If you are running a 64-bit Computer and Running Access 2010, you will first need to download the AccessDatabaseEngine.exe from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=7554F536-8C28-4598-9B72-EF94E038C891&displaylang=en

After the download finishes, and installs, You will need to create an ODBC connection. Instead of creating an ODBC connection through your Administrative Tools, Data Sources (ODBC) interface, you will need to run the 64-bit instance of Data Sources (ODBC). To do this, you will need to click your "Windows" + "R" buttons on the keyboard, and then paste "c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe" -- without quotes into the dialog. Then create the connection to the database as you would on a 32 bit machine.

I had the same issues with the *.accdb not showing up in my 64 bit ODBC connections. It then showed up after performing the above steps.

Hope this Helps,

Alex Mahrou

Friday, June 10, 2011 3:25 PM
  • I am having the same problem... the Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb) does not show up in the 32 bit ODBC driver manager on my 64-bit Windows Vista computer.  I tried the solutions offered thus far but have no luck.

Did anyone offer a solution?

Andy
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:01 AM
  • I am also facing same issue on Windows Server 2008 R2, any resolution? Where can i download Access 32 Bit drivers?

Regards,

Masood Mustufa

Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Great - that works.

Many thanks

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:31 AM
  • Excelente, busque la solucion por varios dias, trabaje mucho sin resultados hasta que llegue a esta Gran Solucion, Felicidades y Gracias.
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 6:24 PM
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't odbcad32.exe the 32-bit version of ODBC?

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer." By doing this you'll help people find answers faster.

Friday, January 10, 2014 12:13 PM
  • Perfectly works......... *****
    Thursday, April 03, 2014 6:27 AM
  • GRACIAS, CON ESTO PUEDO CONTINUAR CON MIS PROYECTOS
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:46 AM