none
Cannot connect to CRM Online via Excel Power BI (Dec Release)

Question

• I was excited when the December release of Power BI supported a connection to CRM Online data via odata.  I followed this article (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powerbi/archive/2013/12/19/dynamics-crm-online-in-power-query.aspx ) using my domain "bipartisan" and was not able to connect.  When I create an odata source and try to connect via an organization account, Excel's Power Query basically gives an error message stating that its waiting for another OLE application to complete a task. 

Funny enough when I enter the odata URL for CRM Online domain name from the above article (microsoft665), it works.  Why would my CRM Online domain "bipartisan" not work?  Is there something else I need to do within CRM Online to allow this service to work?

Thanks,

Pat

Sunday, January 12, 2014 11:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Pat,

Thanks for reporting the issue. We believe we have fixed the error message you're describing in our next update.

When you weren't able to connect with your domain, did you see a specific error message? You shouldn't need to do anything special to allow the service to work although this feature is only offered in CRM Online 2013. More information on your scenario can help us determine the issue - feel free to use the Send a Frown functionality in Power Query to send the team more details/screenshots.

Thanks,

Theresa

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Pat,

Thanks for reporting the issue. We believe we have fixed the error message you're describing in our next update.

When you weren't able to connect with your domain, did you see a specific error message? You shouldn't need to do anything special to allow the service to work although this feature is only offered in CRM Online 2013. More information on your scenario can help us determine the issue - feel free to use the Send a Frown functionality in Power Query to send the team more details/screenshots.

Thanks,

Theresa

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:48 AM
  • Hi Pat,

Thanks,

Theresa

Please forgive my ignorance, but where in any of the announcements, comments, or posts that were made regarding the December Preview release did it explain that OData access was limited to CRM Online 2013?

A lot of us are still on 2011 and have gone the route of investigating our own environments tediously. An effort which if I'm understanding your response correctly, was absolutely a waste of our own time.
    Friday, January 17, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Hi Snooydoo,

I apologize for the confusion, unfortunately it does not look like this was specified in the announcement. I confirmed with the CRM team that there was no authentication support for the feeds in 2011 which is why this feature requires 2013. They also mentioned that the upgrades are moving quickly and customers can request to move to CRM 2013 - we can follow up outside of this thread if you'd like more information. 

Thanks,

Theresa

Monday, January 20, 2014 8:30 PM
  • Theresa,

Thanks for confirming that this is only available for CRM Online 2013.  Similar to Snooydoo, we are planning to upgraded from 2011 to 2013 soon (early Feb)  Just know that our frustration has more to do with the fact that we were hoping to take advantage of the Power BI features sooner than later.  Internal reporting in CRM Online is poor at best, especially for anyone more familiar with tools like BO or SSRS. 

At the same time, Power BI not being available for CRM 2011 is probably for the better because I really should be spending more time with upgrade prep.

Take care,

Pat Beautz

Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:08 PM