none
DNS resolve issue between 2 trusted domain

Question

• Background: There are two domains, the old domain is "A.COM" (domain function level 2003), the new domain is "B.NET" (domain function level 2008 R2). Domain "A.COM" DNS and DC is not the same server, domain "B.NET" DC and DNS is the same server.  Domain trust has been done, my task is to migrate all computers and users from "A.COM"  to "B.NET". All migrated computer those in "B.NET" are using original DHCP and DNS during the migration  (DHCP distributed DNS).

Question: We have migrated 2 users and 2 computers to do the test, the migration successfully completed (tool  - ADMT 3.2). After logging in to "B.NET" domain, the server name of "A.COM" can not be resolved using the ping command, it will automatically add "B.NET" suffix. For example: ping file server "fileserver1", will become "fileserver1.B.NET" and unresolved, if ping "fileserver1.A.COM" is normal.

Two domains DNS forwarder are added to each other. I do not know what the problem is, very appreciate for any good suggestions, thank you.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Jerry,

I suggest you should add a.com as a DNS suffix to your clients, this can be done by GPO, if it cant resolve fileserver1.b.net then it will then try fileserver1.a.com.

The forwarders will only help if you query filerserver1.a.com from a b.net DNS server.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Jerry,

I suggest you should add a.com as a DNS suffix to your clients, this can be done by GPO, if it cant resolve fileserver1.b.net then it will then try fileserver1.a.com.

The forwarders will only help if you query filerserver1.a.com from a b.net DNS server.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:06 PM
  • Hi Basty,

Thanks for your reply.
    I tried the way which your recommended and seems it's worked well. Next we will go to evaluate the impact of this method and then decide to use it as a solution.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:13 AM
  • Your welcome. There are not any downsides I can think of, this is the most reliable way to configure clients using resources from multiple domains without having to use the fqdn.

Hope it works out for you!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:54 PM