none
Office 2010 64bit problem

Question

• I was pretty happy when we updated our main intersystems cachee database to a newer 32bit version that came with 32 and 64 bit odbc drivers. I immediately installed office 2010 64 bit and practically got rid off all "Out of memory" erros while refreshing my powerpivot tables. It is a great step forward with a in-memory database like vertipaq (or xVelocity if you prefer).

Everything was fine until today. I loaded a table with a simple sql condition in the where clause, PosKz2 < 5. In the resulting table, however, were rows that had a PoskZ2 with the value 5. Not all rows with a 5 in that column, I checked that, in fact the number of rows got smaller when I changed the condition to PosKz <3.. Nevertheless, there were rows that had a value of 5 in that column and were not filtered out, even though they should have been.

I tried many things, other drivers, changed the condition to in ( .... ) or not like, but to no avail. So far, the only solution seems to revert back to Office 32bit and use a 32bit driver, which means I will start to struggle with out of  memory errors again.

So far I never had any issues with odbc drivers, so I find this rather disconcerting and I am loosing a bit of trust in my query results, or is this kind of thing not unusal with 64bit drivers? The company that gives (or sells) us support for the db seems a bit lost on this one, too, so I would apprecialte any help or just feedback  whether these things are more or less common or an highly unusual occurence.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:34 PM

Answers

• Yes, but it seems that it is actually a problem that is related to the intersystem cache database, and not related to Powerpivot, the error could be reproduced using a jdbc Driver and squirrel.

To be fair, there are actually newer Versions of the Cache database, so in current Versions it might not exist any more.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:10 PM

All replies

• Can you post the problematic source query?  As well as the actual datatype of that specific column in the source db and some sample rows? 

Brent Greenwood, MS, MCITP, CBIP // Please mark correct answers and helpful posts // http://brentgreenwood.blogspot.com

Friday, July 05, 2013 3:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Here's the query, pretty simple, really. I left out some columns that are returned.

Select 
    right(t1.ArtikelNr, 8) as ArtNr,
    t1.AusfKz, 
    t1.ArtBez,
    t1.StatKz,
    t1.Aenderungsdatum

FROM MHS.MAUFZ t1
    WHERE 
    t1.PosKz2 = 5 AND
    t1.Auftragsdatum > '2011-01-01'

The table contains sales details or rows. PosKz2 can have the values 1-5 and indicates the status of this part of the order, e.g. 5 means cancelled, 4 delivered etc...  .

I assume the type is string.

In the meantime I was able to reproduce the error with a 32bit-Excel system, I guess this is good and bad news at the same time.

Interestingly enough, there is a second global in the database, a copy of this table for analytic purposes, and on this the query perfoms without Problems. I hasn't got all the columns of the original, but for my purposes it is good enough.

I still find the error odd, though. Maybe it is an error in one of the programs of the erp that has Access to this column and writes a slightly wrong value that does not stop the System from running but confuses the odbc-driver?

Friday, July 05, 2013 4:36 PM
  • Is this still an issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:41 PM
    Owner
  • Yes, but it seems that it is actually a problem that is related to the intersystem cache database, and not related to Powerpivot, the error could be reproduced using a jdbc Driver and squirrel.

To be fair, there are actually newer Versions of the Cache database, so in current Versions it might not exist any more.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:10 PM

Awesome. Thanks for letting us know!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, September 13, 2013 6:54 PM
    Owner