none
Customizing forms / templates

Question

• I've just starting working with the authoring tool and want to make sure I have this right.

Templates are for pre-populating data in existing fields on a single form.

If I want helpdesk to have multiple templates with different data fields I have to make a custom form for each.

Except that a class (incidents) can only have one form.

So if I want multiple custom forms I have to make multiple custom classes?

And if I want to make some of those fields mandatory with a * there is  no simple toggle for that?

Also some fields which I would think are common such as the affected users email address cannot easily be added to a form?

Do I have this information correct?

Cheers

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 10:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For very specific scenarios there might be useful to create subclasses of the incident class and create a new form with these unique questions, but it's nothing that I would recommend you to do for all your day to day scenarions. What we usually do is to create a template for each of these scenarios and write the specific questions in the description field.

For instance, if you have an incoming call about HW issues you create a new IR from the HW template. In the description field of that template you've specified the questions you want the analyst to ask your end-user.

(if we were about to have the same discussion about Service Request, I would point you to use different Request Offerings to achieve this)

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se

Friday, September 06, 2013 12:31 PM
  • Maybe the Call Script Manager from Seven Winds is an option for you:

Seven-Winds Call Script Manager

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Friday, September 06, 2013 6:38 PM

All replies

• I've just starting working with the authoring tool and want to make sure I have this right.

Templates are for pre-populating data in existing fields on a single form.

Yes.

If I want helpdesk to have multiple templates with different data fields I have to make a custom form for each.

Well, kind of, but could you give us an example/scenario?

Except that a class (incidents) can only have one form.

Any class can only have a single form, correct.

So if I want multiple custom forms I have to make multiple custom classes?

Depends on what you are trying to achieve...

And if I want to make some of those fields mandatory with a * there is  no simple toggle for that?

Correct.

Also some fields which I would think are common such as the affected users email address cannot easily be added to a form?

E-mail address is an object of it's own related to the user, and the user in turn is related to the WI. You can also have several e-mail addresses. So there is no simple way to present a users e-mail address directly on the form.

Do I have this information correct?

Cheers

Regards
    //Anders

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Hello Anders,

An example might be:

If they take call about a hardware issue I want them to open a template with a field for Asset Tag

If they take a call about a user moving location I want them to have fields for the old location and the new location and the date of the move.

Because these two tickets need different data fields I need to make a form for each and so I need to make a class for each?

thanks

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

For very specific scenarios there might be useful to create subclasses of the incident class and create a new form with these unique questions, but it's nothing that I would recommend you to do for all your day to day scenarions. What we usually do is to create a template for each of these scenarios and write the specific questions in the description field.

For instance, if you have an incoming call about HW issues you create a new IR from the HW template. In the description field of that template you've specified the questions you want the analyst to ask your end-user.

(if we were about to have the same discussion about Service Request, I would point you to use different Request Offerings to achieve this)

Regards
    //Anders

Friday, September 06, 2013 12:31 PM
  • Maybe the Call Script Manager from Seven Winds is an option for you:

Seven-Winds Call Script Manager

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Friday, September 06, 2013 6:38 PM