none
Unable to lauch PPS

Question

• Hi,

i am unable to lauch Performance point dashboard designer due to some changes that occured on my dev server
    i still am able to browse the PMservice.asmx from IE
    it also lauches the tool when i click on pscbuilder.application ..but nothing happens.

i tried down again but didnt work
    below is error i see in event viewwer...appreciate any help

.NET Runtime 2.0 Error
    EventType clr20r3, P1 pscbuilder.exe, P2 3.0.0.0, P3 490fbce3, P4 system.configuration, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 4889de74, P7 1a6, P8 136, P9 ioibmurhynrxkw0zxkyrvfn0boyyufow, P10 NIL.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:05 PM

All replies

• Can you expand on the changes that were done to your server?  Was something uninstalled?  If the state of the server is unknown you might just want to simply re-install PPS verifying that all of the prerequisites are available.

Dan English's BI Blog
    • Marked as answer by mrtnpl Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mrtnpl Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:17 PM
  • actually i could connect to the service that is running on this server remotely it workks perfect.
    as i said before i could connect to the PPS monitoring webservice with no issue through browser

My  issue is only when i try to lauch the designer tool on the server..has to do some .NET componets that has got connected.

i dont wish to uninstall the PPS since it may iimpct users connected and developing...and PPS service has no issue

I get  an erro when i try to create a project in visual studio 2008 also ..."Configuration system failed initalize variable" is the error
    which indicate it is nothing to do with PPS services but a prerequisite component got corrupted/.

Do you know which separate components could i try to reinstall or install again and see  instead of reconfiguration PPS?
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:20 PM
  • The prerequisites for Dashboard Designer are the following:

• SQL ADOMD.NET 9.0
  • MSXML 6.0 + updates
  • SQL Server 2005 SP2 Analysis Server OLEDB 9.0 Provider
  • SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services Service Pack 4 - Build 2174 for Client Systems (to use SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services as a data source)
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
  • I would verify that these components are installed and if not download and install them.  You can leverage the SQL Server 2005 SP3 components instead from the SQL Server 2005 December 2008 Feature Pack - Download details: Feature Pack for SQL Server 2005 December 2008. I would verify that the .NET Framework 2.0 is still installed and that you are using this for the Web Site.

It would probably make more sense to simply unintall BIDS 2008 and PPS 2007 and reinstall.  It really isn't that big of a deal, especially PPS, very quick to do and would save you some time in the long run most likely.

Are you able to install and run the Dashboard Designer from your workstation?  You typically wouldn't install the client components like Dashboard Designer and BIDS 2008 on the server.

Dan English's BI Blog
Friday, February 12, 2010 3:18 AM
  • thanks dan i could find solution for that I have a related new issue i am accessing the PPS service on server from my machine remotely and i can connect to it and edit..However when i try to preview it it doesnt work and says cannot deploy to preview site same thing works fine if i use dashboard designer from the server itself. any ide how to resolve this
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:24 AM
  • Are you able to connect to the PPS web service with the Dashboard Designer from your workstation?  Once you launch Dashboard Designer are you able to load the items from the server and can you publish items that you create to the server?

I would verify that you are connected to the PPS web service and you can verify this in the lower left-hand corner of Dashboard Designer.  If this is not correct then you can go into the options and modify the PPS web service URL.

If all of this does work, are you logged into the domain that the server is located on?  If it works on the server there is no reason it shouldn't work on your workstation as well.  You might want to go into your ClickOnce applications and delete them and then re-install Dashboard Designer by going to the Monitoring Central URL.  In my posting here at the bottom I list where the applications get installed.  Simply delete everything in the 2.0 folder and then run the install again - Installing Dashboard Designer for PerformancePoint Server (PPS).
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:35 AM
  • i am not in same domain as pps.but it lets me connect to the ps server webserice and retieve the reports on server however it doesnt allow me to preview it or publish it to sharepoint.So both these are possible if i am doing this from any server which is part of the domain as PPS server

Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Well if you are not on the same domain then that is definitely an issue and would have been good to know.

You might try going into your user accounts on your workstation and setting up some stored network credentials for the servers that you are trying to publish to.  This might resolve your issue.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:09 PM