IE10 & Outlook Web Access

Question

• Installed Windows 8 with IE10 (Yes, Consumer!) Everything is great on my Dell Duo. The only issue is my corporate email: Outlook Web Access will not display properly. Using Developer Tools, I am able to view text in the preview pane but unable to open attachments.

Opening the email shows a solid grey in the body. Opening a new message works but searching for a contact prompts a script error. My company IT is not likely to help since I'm probably the only idiot who uses IE10!

Any help with this?

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:00 PM

All replies

• Should be compatibility issue. How does it work if you access OWA with compatibility view?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Compatability view works only to read email, but when you try to reply to an email, it wont let you type anything, just a gray area where the text should be.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:09 AM
  • I am having the same issues and then some; was sent over here from the Exchange Server Forums and I do not blame them.

There is the concept of maintaining backward compatibility. I am going to repost here on this thread what I posted there. "OWA check name error in IE10 on Windows 8 (Release Preview) (64 bit)"

Installed Windows 8 (Release Preview) (64 bit) on a ThinkPad T61p (6457-Y74) with 8 GB of RAM over last weekend (7/14-15/12).

When using IE10 from the desktop and I start OWA for my agency, it seem to work ok, except a few little things, like the subject line of a new email is about half the size of the To: and cc: line or that the email folder search line was almost unusable since it was too to display the current font and it was difficult get the cursor in to the field. Tried to use "compatibility view" but all that was displayed was a "broken" HTML page where I could not view any messages. If tired on the agency platform standard with IE 8, OWA works as it should so it would be useless to contact their IT helpdesk until IE10 released "golden".

Then I stumbled upon this error that does not occur on the agency platform standard with IE 8. When the user uses OWA's "check name", if more than one page is returned from the agency Exchange directory and the user attempts to scroll to the next page the following error occurs.

Client Information
    ------------------
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; Trident/6.0; .NET4.0E; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.3; Zune 4.7)
    CPU Class: x86
    Platform: Win32
    System Language: en-US
    User Language: en-US
    CookieEnabled: true
    Mime Types: 
    Exception Details
    -----------------
    Date: Thu Jul 19 07:39:00 EDT 2012
    Message: Unable to get property 'parentElement' of undefined or null reference
    Url: 
    https://owa.hhs.gov/owa/8.3.213.0/scripts/premium/uglobal.js
    Line: 543
    Call Stack
    ----------
    Dump Event
    ----------
    recordset = null
    type = error
    fromElement = null
    toElement = null
    altLeft = false
    keyCode = 0
    repeat = false
    reason = 0
    data = 
    behaviorCookie = 0
    source = null
    contentOverflow = false
    behaviorPart = 0
    url = 
    dataTransfer = null
    ctrlKey = false
    shiftLeft = false
    dataFld = 
    returnValue = undefined
    qualifier = 
    wheelDelta = 0
    bookmarks = null
    actionURL = 
    button = 0
    srcFilter = null
    nextPage = 
    cancelBubble = false
    x = 0
    y = 0
    buttonID = 0
    srcElement = null
    screenX = 946
    screenY = 434
    srcUrn = 
    origin = 
    boundElements = [object]
    clientX = 696
    clientY = 231
    propertyName = 
    shiftKey = false
    ctrlLeft = false
    offsetX = 0
    offsetY = 0
    altKey = false
    errorMessage = Unable to get property 'parentElement' of undefined or null reference
    errorUrl = 
    errorLine = 543
    errorCharacter = 135
    errorCode = 0

So anyone have ideas what changes are needed in IE10 to get OWA to work?

How about changing some of the "Internet Options"; I know I signed on as the " guinea pig ", but where is the “love” and support?

Thom Carr

• Edited by Thom Carr Friday, July 20, 2012 11:10 PM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 11:08 PM
  • I am having the same issues and then some; was sent over here from the Exchange Server Forums and I do not blame them.

There is the concept of maintaining backward compatibility. I am going to repost here on this thread what I posted there. "OWA check name error in IE10 on Windows 8 (Release Preview) (64 bit)"

Installed Windows 8 (Release Preview) (64 bit) on a ThinkPad T61p (6457-Y74) with 8 GB of RAM over last weekend (7/14-15/12).

When using IE10 from the desktop and I start OWA for my agency, it seem to work ok, except a few little things, like the subject line of a new email is about half the size of the To: and cc: line or that the email folder search line was almost unusable since it was too to display the current font and it was difficult get the cursor in to the field. Tried to use "compatibility view" but all that was displayed was a "broken" HTML page where I could not view any messages. If tired on the agency platform standard with IE 8, OWA works as it should so it would be useless to contact their IT helpdesk until IE10 released "golden".

Then I stumbled upon this error that does not occur on the agency platform standard with IE 8. When the user uses OWA's "check name", if more than one page is returned from the agency Exchange directory and the user attempts to scroll to the next page the following error occurs.

Client Information
    ------------------
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; Trident/6.0; .NET4.0E; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.3; Zune 4.7)
    CPU Class: x86
    Platform: Win32
    System Language: en-US
    User Language: en-US
    CookieEnabled: true
    Mime Types: 
    Exception Details
    -----------------
    Date: Thu Jul 19 07:39:00 EDT 2012
    Message: Unable to get property 'parentElement' of undefined or null reference
    Url: 
    Line: 543
    Call Stack
    ----------
    Dump Event
    ----------
    recordset = null
    type = error
    fromElement = null
    toElement = null
    altLeft = false
    keyCode = 0
    repeat = false
    reason = 0
    data = 
    behaviorCookie = 0
    source = null
    contentOverflow = false
    behaviorPart = 0
    url = 
    dataTransfer = null
    ctrlKey = false
    shiftLeft = false
    dataFld = 
    returnValue = undefined
    qualifier = 
    wheelDelta = 0
    bookmarks = null
    actionURL = 
    button = 0
    srcFilter = null
    nextPage = 
    cancelBubble = false
    x = 0
    y = 0
    buttonID = 0
    srcElement = null
    screenX = 946
    screenY = 434
    srcUrn = 
    origin = 
    boundElements = [object]
    clientX = 696
    clientY = 231
    propertyName = 
    shiftKey = false
    ctrlLeft = false
    offsetX = 0
    offsetY = 0
    altKey = false
    errorMessage = Unable to get property 'parentElement' of undefined or null reference
    errorUrl = 
    errorLine = 543
    errorCharacter = 135
    errorCode = 0

So anyone have ideas what changes are needed in IE10 to get OWA to work?

How about changing some of the "Internet Options"; I know I signed on as the " guinea pig ", but where is the “love” and support?

Thom Carr

Is anyone monitoring this forum?

Thom Carr

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:53 PM
  • What happens if one chooses the low-fi version of OWA when logging in?
    Friday, November 02, 2012 2:39 PM
  • @JJ I've got the same issue, Lo-fi does not solve it. 
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:35 PM
  • Same problem IE 10 is the culprit
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 5:16 AM